Friday, March 13, 2015

Things I'm Loving Friday XXV

It's the F R I D A Y before S P R I N G  B R E A K and I could just jump for joy. Seriously, I think teachers may anticipate spring break even more than the students do. And you better believe I'll be out the door maybe faster than my students. I've worked hard this week to get organized and get my grading done, so that I can fully enjoy nine days off. And I've already got some fun things on the agenda. But mainly I'm just looking forward to some rest and relaxation. And hopefully a week full of sunshine!

Busy Is a Sickness
One of my Clubhouse roommates posted a link to this article, and I was intrigued. Because I am the queen of saying "I'm so busy." I'm way busier than you are, so don't even try saying otherwise. Which is obviously not true, but that is my mindset a lot of the time, even when I'm not conscious of it. So, I opened this article and my first instinct was to just skim through it, because I obviously don't have the time to actually read it. But then I sat down and read it, and wow, is it powerful. Just like the writer of this article, I wear busyness like a badge of honor. The writer hits the nail on the head when he writes, "We are defined by what we do," and that if we are not doing something, we are seen as inferior. Or we believe we are inferior. He presents some medical findings, nothing new here, and his last paragraph just got me, so I'm going to share it with you guys.
  • "That I stop defining myself by my doing, and start defining myself by my being. That I stop measuring time by the clock on the wall, and start measuring it by the experiences I share with those around me. And that I stop seeing my life as "busy," and instead, see it for what it truly is.
  • Full."
Yeah, I could stand to live by this philosophy. 


Note to Self Series
I've been on the hunt (okay, maybe not a hunt, because I've been lazy at times), for a nondenominational church to call "home" here in Houston. I've tried out a few here and there, and while I've liked aspects of each of them, there's something in me that prompts me to keep searching. I gave Bridgepoint Bible Church a try, and maybe I found it in the middle of a series that hits close to home, but I loved it. Their current series is called Note to Self, and it basically talks about how our society is run and motivated by the idea of "self," so that we may begin to feel significant. In truth, we are significant in Christ, and while this is not a new idea, it's certainly one that I can relate to. And (un)surprisingly enough, my people pleasing nature is indicative of that self-control that I so desire, and that I should be fighting against. It's good stuff, people.
(Source)
Boyhood
Okay, I'm way late to the game on this one. This one has been on my to-watch list since July, when my friend Alex gave it rave reviews. But I was "too busy" to see it during the start of both volleyball season and the school year. And after the fact that it received an Academy Award and I learned that the director is a Bellaire grad, I knew I had to watch it. And am I glad I did. What an absolutely simple, yet complex, beautiful, and honest story of growing up as seen through the eyes of a child. I am having a hard time even putting into words what I loved about this movie, but I absolutely loved it. Add to the fact that much of it takes place in Houston (and Austin!), and the soundtrack features some of my childhood favorites, I give this one a very easy five stars. If you haven't seen it, take the time to watch it. It's easily in my top five.


(Source)
21 Things You Should Know Before Dating a Teacher
My fellow first-year teacher sent me a link to this article and I tried really hard to pick one favorite. But seriously, every single one was SO true and so applicable. Minus maybe the coffee (but that's just me), the Elmer's Glue, and the manicures. Who has time for that? Number 13 may be the frontrunner, and I am sure that Dylan could have attested to more than one of the items on this list. Embarrassingly, 'on fleek' is in my vocabulary more than I would care to admit, we get summers off because we need summers off, and list-making is the way I make it through the day. And number 21 puts it best - we have to be 'on' every single hour of the day, making hundreds of important decisions in the spur of the moment, and though I vent about how my kids can't ever seem to remember to bring a pencil, if that's the worst I've got to complain about, I've got it good. There really is never a dull moment. Even on those "quiet" test days.



Have a fabulous, wonderful, lovely Friday. I know I will, because I'm about to turn my alarm off for nine whole days. And that is music to my ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS