Wednesday, March 11, 2015

First Run Back

Happy Hump Day! Sweeter words have never been spoken. Just kidding, even sweeter words will be spoken at 3:15pm on Friday afternoon. I think you guys all know what I'm saying. Sorry to those of you who don't get a spring break. If that's not reason enough to become a teacher (or go back to school?), I don't know what is.

And I was a little bit more tired than usual today because last night I saw Tim McGraw at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. And though I didn't get home until around 11:40pm or so, I don't regret one minute. Tim put on an INCREDIBLE show, and the atmosphere at the Houston Rodeo is like no other. To be fair, I've never been to any other rodeo, but there's just something about the Houston Rodeo, because you can tell that all of those performers are just so excited and so honored to be performing on that stage. Typically in front of a sold-out crowd.

I went to the rodeo with Amira, who hadn't been since our senior year of high school. It's not her fault - she went to LSU for college, and they had a late spring break that didn't ever allow her to get home when the rodeo was taking place. We changed that last night, though. Amira got to Bellaire just before 4:30pm, and we made our way over to the West Loop Park & Ride. The Park & Ride is such a great deal. Instead of paying $15+ for parking, walking a mile, and sitting in traffic for an hour, we paid $4 for a two-way bus ticket that dropped us off just steps away from the carnival. And about the carnival. Typically I stay away from traveling carnivals. And that's exactly what the rodeo is. But because it's the rodeo, I tend to make an exception. And I seem to lose my sanity. Because after riding the tame and kid-friendly Euroslide, Amira and I stepped up our game a little bit and got on a ride that goes by the name of "Insanity."

Yeah, that's about all you need to know. I was ready to get two feet back on the ground after that one! After finding our balance, we made our way into the stadium, grabbed some food and water, and settled into our seats for one amazing show. Tim sang almost all of my favorites, and I swear, that man just gets better looking with age. And what's great is that I ran into some familiar faces. One of my volleyball teammates from high school, and three of my fifth-grade teachers, one of whom also taught me in second grade. I think I made them feel a little bit old, but all three of them looked great, and it sure was good to see them, and to see that they still get together from time to time. Anyway, today was a little bit of a struggle, but it was a lot worth it. The rodeo is my absolute favorite time of year, after all!


Guys, I'm so bad. I told myself that even though my shin was feeling loads better, that I would wait until this weekend to go for a run. That would have been nearly three weeks, and I would have listened to the doctor's orders. But I was standing in the kitchen making my lunch for tomorrow when I was hit with this idea - maybe I should go for a run. I tested out a jog through the downstairs of our house and it didn't hurt, so I decided to give it a go, vowing to take Ibuprofen and ice down my shin right when I got home. Which I did, don't you worry.  Anyway, today, on March 11th, 2015, I went for my first run in two-and-a-half weeks. And it was glorious. And I felt it in my shin, yes, but it was only a twinge. And I also told myself that I would absolutely call it quits if the pain was anything above a 2. Honestly, I'd say it was a light 1, so I gave myself the okay to complete the 5.2 miles I normally run.

I was a little bit more winded than I usually am, I will admit. But it has been 16 days with absolutely no running. It will take me a couple of days to get back into tip-top running shape, but oh it felt so GOOD to be back in the running game. And I'm not completely out of my mind. I'm going to take it slow, as I'm not planning to run again until Saturday at the earliest. It was just reassuring to know that I haven't lost my running mojo. After all, I've got a half marathon in just over two weeks, so I just had to get going sooner rather than later. I'm already banking on my shin being a little bit sore tomorrow, but I regret nothing.

Have a GREAT rest of your Wednesday. I'm stuck playing a little bit of catch-up today after yesterday's rodeo escapade, but again, I regret nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment