Saturday, December 22, 2012

Nine Miles With a Guardian Angel

I have been home in Houston for approximately one week, but it fees like I've been home for months and months. Not that that's a bad thing, it's just been a pretty crazy start of the holiday season.

My last post came on Wednesday, so I'll try and catch you up on everything that has happened in between. Thursday I - begrudgingly - made my way over to Methodist Hospital again, to be a friendly face for my grandma as they transported her from the hospital to a rehab center over in our part of town. My mom met her over at the rehab center and I made my way over to the River Oaks area to meet two friends, Lindsay and Amira, for some Christmas light looking. If you don't know, River Oaks is notorious for their fabulous display of Christmas lights, and they certainly did not disappoint this year.



Lindsay and I

Amira, Lindsay, and I
I was on my way home when I got a call from my dad telling me that my grandmother was sick and that he and my mom were at an emergency room on Richmond with her, so I headed in that direction where I was met with the news that she was unresponsive and had little brain activity. It came to the point where she was relying on the machines to live, and we knew that was not the way she wanted to live. That wasn't how we knew our granny. So, at 2:16 on Friday morning, I lost one of the most special people in my life. She had 91 wonderful years on this earth, and now she is dancing up in Heaven with her beloved husband who passed away just before I was born. I was so blessed with almost 21 years with her. The woman who helped raise me. The woman who made every single school lunch I ever ate (and snuck in extra cookies), the woman who played hours and hours of invisible baseball with my friends as we waited for the bus to come, the reason I never had to have a babysitter when my parents went out, and just an all-around incredible person. She won over the hearts of everyone she ever met, and I know she is watching over me right now. I truly thought she would outlive me, but she decided she was finally ready to go home. I am also thankful for the love and support of my friends and this community - they sure know how to wrap a girl and her family in love.
My sweet partner in crime 
Anyway, Friday I was still kind of shock (and I still am), but I met up with two of my favorite former teachers from when I was at Stratford, well, technically one of them was a coach, at Zoe's Kitchen. I enjoyed the steak kabobs with a side of roasted vegetables and ate every last bite. I also enjoyed some great company who made me laugh with all of their teacher stories. It means a lot to have two teachers who legitimately care about their students and who don't get annoyed by their pesky former students!

After a Stratford hill workout (we're talking 54 total times up and down the hill), I showered and drove out to Cypress to meet up and hang out with some of my YoungLife team. Spending time with them is always a good time, and I got some homemade chili, so it was a Friday night well spent.
My view from the hill - Granny was helping paint a very pretty picture 
Patrick even let me use his bowl that he used to eat cereal out of every morning as a kid
And baby Patrick - isn't he cute?
This morning I woke up and ate a toast, peanut butter, and banana breakfast before parking my behind on the couch for three episodes of Friday Night Lights. I have progressed onto season three, and I certainly don't mind spending my time with Coach and Tami Taylor. A little before noon I set out on a nine-mile run as part of my "training" plan. It was an absolutely beautiful day, and I was relieved to find that I could still run nine miles relatively easily. Okay, not easily, but once I got into my groove, I lost myself in my music. I need some music recommendations so I can put together a playlist for the Houston half - I like things along the lines of Ke$ha, One Direction, Chris Brown, Katy Perry, etc., - stuff that I can blast and belt with no shame.

One of my favorite places
After a shower and a little Montrose adventure, I met up with Gayle for some long overdue best friend time. We braved the mall for some last-minute shopping, or shopping that I have hardly started, before enjoying a delicious dinner at Collina's Italian Cafe. Collina's is far enough away from my house that I don't think about it very often, but every time I think of it, I know that it's worth the trip over there. I don't usually do this, but I ordered the special of the day: roasted porkloin with a side of spinach and penne paste, and every single bite was absolutely delicious. The waiters made fun of my request for no sauce, but sometimes that's what being lactose intolerant will get you. They made up for it by sautéing it in olive oil, and I truly enjoyed it.

We rounded out the night at Barnes and Noble, where I was able to cross another item off my Christmas shopping list. The people who were there wrapping presents complimentary were part of the Beagle Rescue Society, so I got to play with this precious puppy. Every time I look at this picture my heart melts. You can't help but smile after getting a look at this sweet face!

Sorry for this novel of a post - enjoy your night (morning?) and I will see you tomorrow for another round of Survey Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS