Friday, July 24, 2015

Things I'm Loving Friday XLIII

Before I get into the regular Things I'm Loving, let me just take a moment and say that one year ago today I moved home to Houston. I cried the entire drive home from Austin, already missing what I was leaving behind, and incredibly anxious about what lay ahead. I was not in a good mindset as I started this new chapter of my life, but today I am reminded of His faithfulness, because tonight is the unofficial start of year two with day one of our freshman volleyball camp, and I could not be more excited about where I am and what I am doing. My attitude has taken a 180, and I'm feeling ready for both this hectic but exciting volleyball season and this sure-to-be-wild school year. Bring it on, baby!



Trainwreck
This movie is wildly inappropriate at parts, but it is wildly hilarious. Amy Schumer's breakout film can only be described as a raunchy romantic comedy, that she herself wrote. From a young age, Amy has been taught that "monogamy isn't realistic," and her character could easily be described as being loose. When her job puts her in the line of a sports surgeon, the two surprisingly hit it off. Amy doesn't quite know how to handle this good boy, but she really comes into herself and learns to love herself by the end of the movie. Hilarious, yet touching at parts. Schumer did a standout job on this one. And Lebron James absolutely killed his part. A star on and off the court.


(Source)
Watermelon
The perfect summer treat, and I cannot seem to get enough of it. If I'm not careful, I can find myself eating the entire bucket without even realizing it. Though I guess I can't feel too bad about it, because it's hydrating - it's 92% water - it can soothe sore muscles, and it has a surprisingly high vitamin C content. It's also most refreshing on a hot summer's day. And actually, August 3rd is National Watermelon Day. So eat up, buttercups!

(Source)
35 Realistic Ways to Squeeze Healthier Habits into Super Busy Schedules
I ran across this extremely relevant article while perusing Pinterest. And I absolutely love it. Because let's be real - we're all busy. Just putting dates into my planner exhausts me, and I don't even want to think about juggling volleyball practice and inservice meetings. But there are so many ways to squeeze healthy habits into a go-go-go day. Realistic ways. And this article talks about 35 of them. I'm all about food prep - it saves me so much time during the week, crock pots are a lifesaver, I'm a huge fan of sneaking veggies into anything and everything (smoothies and eggs, especially), I bring my own lunch each and every day, HIIT workouts are my go-to during volleyball season, I drink water like it's nobody's business, I swear by to-do lists, and just when it seems like you can't take it anymore, a vacation is just what you need. Yes, we're all busy, but that's no reason to sacrifice your health and well-being.

Healthy and easy on-the-go snack
Becks Prime Mediterranean Salad
Unfortunately, this one is only relevant to my Houston and Dallas readers. I'm not ashamed to say that I ate here twice within the course of 24 hours. Their Mediterranean Salad + grilled chicken is just that good. The spring mix/romaine fix is topped with Kalamata olives, capers, cucumbers, red onion, bell peppers, and cherry tomatoes, tossed with Becks Prime balsamic vinaigrette, and I opted to add the grilled chicken. It's healthy, it's refreshing, and it's one that will surely be making a more regular appearance in my diet, as there's one close to my house, and one close to Bellaire. Two places I seem to be on the reg.


Texas Children's Fight Song
In the midst of all the bad happening in this world, these kids at Texas Children's Hospital put on a show that will warm your heart. They perform Rachel Platten's "Fight Song," which is already an inspiring song on so many levels. And when you pair it with these brave, strong children who put up such a fight each and every day of the week, it's hard not to be inspired. And it's hard not to have a smile on your face throughout the entire performance. These kids are fighting hard, and they will continue to fight hard, and they manage to bring a little bit of fun to a situation that is the furthest thing from fun.

(Source)
And that's all I've got for you. My next 32 hours are going to be busy-busy-busy, as I run from Bellaire, to literally running through and around Memorial Park, back to Bellaire for a weekend full of volleyball. But after that, you can find me on the couch watching Harry Potter Weekend. Yeah! Have a great one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS