Sunday, July 19, 2015

This or That: Food Version

Happy Sunday from New York City! I plan on sitting down and blogging about the first couple days of my trip, but to be completely honest, I don't know when exactly that will happen. I have been posting quite a few photos to Instagram, and I plan on posting all of them to Facebook, eventually. If you're looking for a little something to hold you over until I get around to telling you all about my solo(ish) adventure, be sure to check those two places for some fun photos. But just know that I am loving my time in the city, and I'm doing my best to squeeze as much as I can into this trip!


Breakfast at the Chobani Store
Breakfast at the Chobani Store
But for now, I've got a quick and simple survey that I found over on Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life's blog. Y'all know how much of a foodie I am, so let this be a small glimpse into my foodie mind. 





Coke or Pepsi?
Neither. I'm very thankful that I have never liked soda. It made for some awkward moments at birthday parties when I was younger, but that is one temptation I have never had to deal with.

Lemonade or fruit punch?
Lemonade. I don't drink it often, but Salata has some of the best flavored lemonade around.

Caramel apple or cotton candy?
This is another neither. These are two sweets that I have just never liked. The caramel apples because I don't like straight caramel, and cotton candy is just too sticky for me.

Butterfinger or Snickers?
Fun fact: I used to eat a Snickers bar before every single volleyball game. Healthy choice, I know. But I later discovered that I prefer Butterfinger to Snickers. And though I can't eat the store-bought version, I definitely plan on trying out this recipe sometime soon.

Pudding or Jello?
Jello. I have never liked pudding - it's a texture thing - but I will still eat Jello from time to time.

Turkey or chicken?
Chicken. But I do love a good turkey sandwich. Or a turkey burger.

Toasties, somewhat of an Austin secret
Brown Bag Deli
American or Provolone cheese?
Seeing as I can't eat cheese, I'm going to go with neither. But I do think Provolone beats out American. 

Crackers or cookies?
Though I can't eat many cookies, the Pignoli cookie is one that I can eat, and it's one that makes me forget that I can't bite into a warm chocolate chip cookie. I used to have an obsession with Triscuit crackers, but I often ate so many of them (topped with peanut butter), that I felt sick afterward. So I nixed the crackers and stick with the occasional cookie.

Plus, I love making them
Pretzels or chips?
I'm probably the worst Texan around, in that I don't really like chips all that much. I eat PopChips every now and again, and the same goes for veggie straws, but I don't go crazy over chips and salsa. I definitely prefer pretzels, but they're not a staple in my diet.

Mexican food or Japanese food?
To be fair, I haven't dabbled much in the Japanese genre. But being from Texas, I'll never turn down Mexican food. Fajitas, guacamole, tacos, and so much more - you just can't get much better than Mexican food. And I'm surrounded by some of the very best Mexican restaurants - Escalante's, Guadalajara, La Fiesta, Cyclone Anaya's, and El Gallo are just a few of the names that come to mind.

Chinese food or Italian food?
Italian food. Although there's not a lot of it that I can eat, Italian restaurants always make a mean grilled chicken salad.

My version of spaghetti
Ice cream or cookies?
I'm going to turn ice cream into frozen yogurt. And frozen yogurt always wins.


Pasta or pizza?
I actually can't remember the last time I ate pasta. And while I can't eat traditional pizza, I make a mean dairy-free pizza. 


Soda or juice?
I addressed soda above, and while I won't drink juice straight-up, I often enjoy including it in smoothies. 


Chocolate bars or chocolate truffles?
As much as I love chocolate, I have never been a huge fan of chocolate truffles. Creme-filled chocolate, caramel-filled chocolate, chocolate-filled chocolate - none of those things have ever really appealed to me. Give me a chocolate bar any day of the week.

Apples or bananas?
When it comes to eating, apples. When it comes to baking and pre-race fuel, bananas. And you guys know I like my apples of the Honeycrisp variety.




Salad or soup?
Salad. I eat salads on the reg, while I tend to forget about soup. Sometimes, though, a bowl of warm soup just hits the spot.


Cauliflower or broccoli?
Broccoli. I love love love broccoli, especially with hummus or salsa.


Onion rings or french fries?
Sweet potato fries for the win. Ruggles Green in Houston, and Galaxy Cafe in Austin, have some of the very best sweet potato fries I've ever tasted. I once encouraged a friend to order sweet potato fries so that I could "steal just a few" from him, and I ended up eating almost the entire order. What can I say?

Blizzard or McFlurry?
McFlurry, for sure. Of the Oreo variety. They used to be my favorite summer treat. Though, to be fair, I've never actually had a Blizzard. But I've tagged along on many of Gordon and Sam's Blizzard runs.

Fried or poached eggs?
I'm not a huge fan of either, but I will eat both fried and poached eggs. I think I prefer fried because poached eggs are just a little bit too runny for my taste. If I have it my way, I'll take scrambled eggs with veggies, please and thank you.


Crepes or pancakes?
Pancakes, for sure. Crepes are far too thin, and pancakes are fluffy and delicious. I can dominate a stack of pancakes, and with this pancake recipe, I can feel no remorse about doing just that.


Hash browns or roasted potatoes?
Roasted potatoes. I don't eat them very often, mainly because I don't think I could do them justice, but I absolutely love roasted potatoes. Although a McDonald's hash brown is something I can't turn down.

Oatmeal or cereal?
I don't like oatmeal oatmeal - another texture thing - but I absolutely love cooked oats. I use them when making my muffins, and they're what my homemade granola is centered around. And while I used to be a cereal queen, I also had major problems with cereal portion control. So while I love cereal, I very rarely eat it.



And while we're on the subject, I've enjoyed some absolutely wonderful food while in New York. And I think I'll continue that trend with some New York ice cream, as today is National Ice Cream Day! You know I love random food holidays. Adios! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS