Friday, July 17, 2015

Things I'm Loving Friday XLII

Happy Friday from Bush Intercontinental Airport! It is nice and early, though after a week of early wake-ups, it wasn't devastatingly difficult to drag myself out of bed in the three o'clock hour. And it made it even easier to know that I was waking up early so that I could board a plane to New York City, as opposed to spending seven plus hours inside a gym. Not that I don't enjoy coaching volleyball. But the younger ones will try at your patience. Elementary and middle school teachers are saints, and that's all I have to say about it. 


Eagle Pride Never Dies (but those tie-dye orange socks should be laid to rest)
Anyway, I don't know how much I'll be blogging throughout the course of this trip, but I would like to keep things semi-regular around here, so let's get going with another round of Things I'm Loving.

Run Hundred
I'm going to have to do a bit of adjusting to my running regimen. Though they are not prohibited, I learned that headphones are discouraged while on the Houston Fit training runs. And while I may not be wearing headphones on my Saturday runs, I'll certainly be wearing them for and and all other runs. And if you're anything like me, you get bored listening to the same songs run after run after run. Run Hundred is here to remedy that by sending music recommendations straight to your inbox. Each month you'll get an email with the month's top 10 workout songs, and a couple of times a month you'll receive emails with new or different workout music. It doesn't clog up your inbox, it keeps things fresh, and it will help motivate you to keep running. Because let's be real, sometimes the music coming through my headphones is the only thing that's getting me to put one foot in front of the other.



Cooked Broccoli and Hummus
Forget raw broccoli. I've never much liked it. But cooked broccoli? I'm all over it. And you guys know I'm a huge hummus fan. So imagine my delight when I combined cooked broccoli with fresh, homemade hummus. I actually got the idea from a fellow coach working Rice camps, and I am officially obsessed. I have a feeling this combination will be making a regular appearance in my school lunches - after all, it's the little things that get you through the day. And I now have so many potential recipes running through my mind. Cheers to snacks that are both healthy and delicious!


(Source)
The Defining Decade
Before I had finished rereading To Kill a Mockingbird, and prior to beginning Go Set a Watchman, I picked up The Defining Decade: Why Your Twenties Matter - and How to Make the Most of Them Now. Try saying that five times fast. I came across this book while reading another blog, and I went ahead and ordered a copy from Amazon, seeing as I'm currently in my twenties, and I feel as though I've got a lot to learn. I didn't expect to finish this book as quickly as I did, but once I got started, I couldn't stop. And I wish I had read this book prior to beginning my real, big-girl job. Because then I would have known that it's absolutely normal to feel overwhelmed and stressed at work. Because that means you're being challenged, and you're not working a job for which you are overqualified. I figured that out - eventually - but it would have made those first few months loads easier. I plan on doing a full review of this book, but if you are currently in your twenties, have kids in their twenties, or interact with anybody in their twenties, I absolutely recommend giving this book a read.




Luna Minis
I’ve posted about Luna Bars on the blog before. I go through phases with them – I’ll eat them obsessively, and then forget about them for a couple of months. Right now I'm on the obsessive phase. I brought a huge bag of them with me to Cozumel, and I've got a few packed away with me on this trip to New York. When a full-sized Luna Bar is too much, the Luna Mini is just what I need. A small but staying snack to hold me over and give me some energy. I make regular Target runs, and when I'm there, I make sure to pick up a package of Luna Minis - a combination of Chocolate Dipped Coconut and Peppermint Stick. They're perfect for "life's little adventures," and you won't hear me complaining about squeezing some healthy chocolate into my day. 



Eating Healthy at Fast Food Restaurants
I stray away from fast food restaurants. In fact, I never choose to eat at them. But sometimes, fast food is the only option. Like when you're riding a charter bus from Houston, Texas to Fraser, Colorado with a bunch of high school juniors. They're in heaven. I'm already feeling gross because I've already spent so many hours sitting on a bus, and greasy fast food is the last thing I want to eat. But fear not! There are healthy(ish) options out there! Eating fast food does not have to be detrimental. And this article outlines some of the best fast food options out there.

My fast food of choice (Source)
And I'll see you guys from New York! Wish me luck navigating a city that is going to go way over my head!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS