Friday, July 3, 2015

Things I'm Loving Friday XL

Happy July 3rd! I hope you are gearing up for a wonderful and fun-filled holiday weekend! The Fourth of July has always been one of my favorite holidays, and I will always have fond memories of going over to a family friend's house with a slew of neighborhood families, grilling up burgers and hot dogs, and then walking over to the bayou to watch the fireworks being shot off over at Lakeside Country Club. My Fourth of July plans have looked a little different as I've gotten older, but that doesn't stop me from being proud of the country I call home, nor does it stop me from being thankful for the freedom that we have. And we all know that freedom doesn't come free. Which is why I continue to be grateful for those who fight for and protect that freedom. It's not hard to see why this holiday is one of my favorites, because it's hard not to be proud when you live somewhere as great as the US of A.


Because this is one of the prettiest things I've made
And on that note, let's get the ball rolling with some things I'm loving! 

Patagonia Atom Sling Bag 8L
I'm the queen of thinking that I've lost something, only to later find it after I've purchased a replacement. The most recent snafu? My Eno hammock. I was convinced it had been lost in the shuffle when I moved from Austin to Houston. But I had a gift certificate to Whole Earth, thanks to the most generous Bellaire PTO, so I didn't feel as bad about making this purchase. When I learned that my Eno was in fact right where I left it, I returned to Whole Earth and purchased a Turkish Red Patagonia Atom Sling Bag 8LI love this bag because it is perfect to wear when biking, or rollerblading, and I can keep my cell phone, keys, snacks, etc., inside of it, and I could certainly fit my Kindle if it hadn't recently tapped out on me. It stays close to the body, and it allows your hands to stay completely free. I plan on bringing it with me to New York, and I foresee this bag getting plenty of use in the very near future. 


I'm grateful for this bag, because it meant I wasn't holding anything as I took my tumble
23 Soul Crushing Problems Only Left-Handed People Understand
I'm sure I've posted something similar to this before. Possibly even this very article. But every single time I read it, it makes me laugh. Because while some of the "problems" on this list are semi-ridiculous (playing cards, really?), I can relate to the majority of them. I always had to make sure I got an end seat on test days, because in order to use a right-handed desk I had to reposition my body in such a way that it looked as though I was staring directly at my neighbor's paper, I could never figure out why I was so inept at using scissors as a little girl, spiral notebooks are the actual worst, it took some of my students the entire year to determine that I was left-handed (and then they were shocked that I had such nice handwriting), and the silver sulfur hand really is soul-crushing. But the universe seems to understand that it's tough to be a lefty in a right-handed world, because we were given our own special day.


It's particularly advantageous in the sports world
19 Words That Have a Totally Different Meaning When You're a Teacher
I don't drink coffee, and I would never venture into the madness that is the Bellaire High School cafeteria, but this article hits the nail on the head. I am so enjoying my teacher summer, and I appreciate it far more than I ever did when I was a student. I will forever love school supply shopping, and it's hard for me to resist that aisle when I'm making a Target run, even if I am spending money out of pocket for these coveted supplies. I did manage to make it through the entire school year without even a sip of coffee, but my co-workers are hands down one of the best parts of my job. I couldn't be more thankful for them, especially when I realize I'm using precious weekend time to prep for the week ahead. I learned more in the English department lounge than I ever could have bargained for, but my 100+ "kids" make the early mornings and stress of test season more than worth it. They are both a face palm and a joy, and I'm thankful for each one of them.




Are Weddings Getting Totally Out of Hand
Before I get myself into trouble with this article, let me state that I absolutely love weddings. I love celebrating the promise of forever between two people, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't daydream about my own from time to time. But this article gets it right. I grew up in the age where "Promposals" were the norm, in fact, if you didn't get asked creatively to a school dance, your date was practically doing you a disservice. When even those are going over the top, it only makes sense that weddings are getting a little out of hand as well. And I love that people put so much effort into their weddings, because hopefully, it's a day that you'll do just once. But at the same time, I hope, as a one-day bride, I don't let the stress of planning the perfect wedding outweigh the joy that comes from marrying my best friend and better half. That what seems like a big deal is probably nothing in the grand scheme of things. And let me end this by saying that I am thrilled to celebrate the MacDonald wedding just next week. Hayley is probably the most chill bride in the history of ever, and I have yet to see her get stressed about any of it.



The Price is Right
It's time for you to "come on down!" Judge me if you want to, but I absolutely love this show. I always have. I remember summers when I was a little kid, sitting down on the couch with my brother and Granny, waiting for the day when a contestant would finally play Plinko. I was bummed when Bob Barker stepped down, but Drew Carey does a wonderful job as host of this fun and energetic game show. While some contestants have a knack for the price of merchandise, some are so far off that it's just comical. I can't remember the last time I was home to consistently watch the show, and I have loved sitting down to read or blog, while simultaneously seeing what the day's showcase is.  Each and every contestant is always so excited to be making an appearance on the show, and even when they lose, they still manage to have a good attitude. But just this week alone I have seen TWO separate contestants spin the wheel and get the dollar, TWICE, meaning they were the recipients of $25,000. It's the longest-running game show, and I bet it won't fail to make you smile.


(Source)
And on that note, I'm off to start finish packing for Austin. It has been far too long since I've visited my happiest getaway city, and Amira, Lindsay, and I have quite the active weekend planned. Fingers crossed for sunshine and nonexistent rain clouds! Have a safe and enjoyable weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS