Sunday, July 5, 2015

Lucky Eleven

I hope you guys enjoyed a most wonderful Fourth of July. Lindsay, Amira, and I are having a wonderful Austin weekend, and I have loved gallivanting around the city I used to call home. I'll do a full weekend recap very soon, but for now I'm just popping in for a quick survey. Because even though I'm out of town, I don't want to neglect one of my favorite blog traditions.



1. What was a profession you used to want to be, but are not now?
I’ve actually wanted to be a teacher since the third grade. But I went through a period of time when I wanted to be an astronaut. I was so fascinated with all things space, which is why it’s so ironic that my part two astronomy class was hands down my least favorite class of my college career.

Astronomy late night study sessions
2. Why did you start blogging? Has it turned out to be what you expected?
I started blogging because I loved reading other people’s healthy living blogs. I loved finding new workout and recipe inspiration, but more than anything I loved reading the day-to-day happenings of people who share my passions and interests. I love the way I can go back to favorite posts, and relive that sweet season. I love tracking my change, and most of all, I love what this blog has become. I never expected my blog to be what it is, and while I still have a long way to go, I never thought something could bring me such joy. I absolutely love writing this little thing, and it means more to me than you could ever know when I get positive feedback regarding it.

3. What was your clique growing up?

My clique? I’ll be honest, I got along pretty well with just about everyone. I was voted Best Personality, after all. Insert hairflip emoji here. You know the one I'm talking about. But I will say that I mostly ran around with the volleyball crew. I think what made us so successful is that we were best friends off the court, which had to have contributed to our chemistry on the court.   



4. What's one piece of advice you'd give your younger self?
Is this going to matter five years from now? Seriously. Looking back at some of the things I stressed out about just makes me cringe. College absolutely calmed me down, in that I stopped worrying so much about things that really don’t require worrying, though I definitely still have a ways to go. I'm a very straight-laced, planning-obsessed person, but teaching - especially floating - has taught me the importance of being flexible.

5. If you could live one day over again, what day would it be?
What a question! I'm not even sure what my answer would be. I think some of my most favorite days were the days I spent with my high school at Crooked Creek Ranch. But not as a camper (because I never attended camp there), rather, as a leader. YoungLife means it when they say it's the best week of your life. I loved locking up my cell phone, spending time with kids I had watched grow up, as they were all of my brothers' friends, playing in the Colorado mountains, and witnessing so many of these kids experience the joy that comes from a life of knowing and living for our Savior.




6. How long have you been blogging?
FOUR years in September. Just don’t go back and read my first post.

7. What is the story behind your blog name?
Fitness and exercise are obviously two huge passions of mine. But I’ve also learned the importance of living a more balanced lifestyle, in that it’s okay to let yourself eat the things you enjoy most. For me, that’s frozen yogurt. My friends always laughed at me because more often than not, that’s where you would find me at the conclusion of volleyball practice my senior year. When they saw me drive past my street, they knew where I was headed. Anyway, I live what most would call a healthy lifestyle – I remain active and I am careful about what I put into my body. But you’ll be hard-pressed to ever find me turning down a frozen yogurt outing. I want my blog to convey that a healthy lifestyle doesn’t mean restricting yourself, and that you can have the best of both worlds.

A run followed by (free!) fro-yo
8. Do you have any pets? Tell us about them.
I don’t currently have any pets, but I can’t tell you how close I’ve come to rescuing a sweet beagle. When I move out and determine that I can actually dedicate the time and energy that is necessary to raising a dog, I am absolutely taking the plunge. But until then, my case of wanderlust is too great, and I would hate to leave a new-to-me dog alone while I explore a new continent for a month. Which is what I hope to do next summer. But that’s still very much in the works.

9. If you had to choose between makeup and hair products (shampoo, etc. not included), which would you choose?
Makeup. My hair has a mind of its own and doesn’t require a lot of additional work from me. Or maybe I’m not willing to put in the work that it needs. You be the judge. But to be honest,  I don’t wear a whole lot of makeup, either. I guess when it comes to products, I’m a minimalist.

10. What’s your favorite thing about where you live right now?
I love everything about living in Houston, and when I think back to the fact that I cried the whole way home from Austin, I am simply reminded of His faithfulness. Houston has it all – a fabulous restaurant scene (and you know that’s important to me), professional sports teams in the three major areas, there are job opportunities aplenty, our paychecks go a long way (though I can’t seem to find enough to move out), we may not be the most fit city around, but we have parks and trails aplenty. And I get a little chill whenever I catch a glimpse of the skyline.

11. Top three favorite blogs/bloggers.
The Storyline Blog.

And so many more. One day I'll get around to organizing a list of my very favorites. But until then, be sure to check these out! But that's all I've got for you guys today. See y'all from Houston!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS