Sunday, August 18, 2013

The Proposal

Well, let's start at the very beginning of yesterday, shall we? It was a long but wonderful day, and I want you guys to get to experience every moment of this special day with me. It will be a long one, so prepare yourselves!

I woke up around 7:20am, when I immediately threw on socks and tennis shoes and headed out the door for a quiet morning walk around Town Lake. Well, I thought it would be quiet, but Town Lake was more crowded than I have probably ever seen it. It was no matter, because I got in some good me time before a very crazy day filled with tons of faces - both old and new.

I headed straight home after my walk in order to eat breakfast with enough time to digest it before a 10:00am spin class at the gym. I indulged in some pineapple and cantaloupe before deciding on a real breakfast of my recently-made apple cinnamon oatmeal bake, courtesy of this recipe. I made my bake almost identical, except I substituted walnuts for pecans, not because I don't like pecans, but walnuts were what I had available, and I also threw in some coconut flakes for a little extra flavor. It is delicious, addicting, and thankfully, filled with healthy ingredients.

Shortly after finishing breakfast and brushing my teeth, I filled up my CamelBak and got back in my car to head up the road to 24 Hour Fitness for a spin class with a new instructor. Though I really liked the class, and our constant bursts of acceleration really gave me a new challenge, I am not a fan of instructors who feel the need to talk their class through every single pedal stroke. It is simply a matter of personal preference, but I do tend to prefer instructors who give me a little bit of peace and quiet to work through what I'm doing.

And after my spin class is where my day got crazy. I quickly showered and got dressed and headed out the door to pick up Dylan, and we set out on our journey to College Station. One of his high school friends happened to be moving in to her new apartment today, so he hung around to help her do that while I headed off to my next destination: the MSC on the Texas A&M University campus. Unfortunately, finding the correct parking garage turned out to be harder than I thought. Annie, the other "childhood friend," and I eventually met up and just parked where we could find a spot, calling anyone we could think of to give us directions to the MSC. Seeing a crowd of blue shirts brought us extreme feelings of relief. We quickly put on our blue "SAY YES!" shirts and waited to be told what to do. We knew we were participating in a lip dub, and we also knew our lines, but we weren't entirely sure how that would play out. Annie and I had the very opening lines, and then we had to run across the field for our next lines, and then follow the crowd under the century tree for the final tunnel. 

We ran through the lip dub one time, and then we waited for Erin and Shawn to arrive at the scene. It was no surprise what was happening once she spotted a trail of people wearing blue shirts that said SAY YES! on them, but it was still so much fun to see the expression on her face as she saw us for the first time. We went through the lip dub, and pulled it off pretty well I might add, and good news, SHE SAID YES! And though I have no doubt they will stay together forever, the fact that she was proposed to under the century tree means they are sure to stay together forever. It also means that since I walked under the tree alone, I am going to be alone forever. Annie and I decided that because we aren't students at Texas A&M, that tradition doesn't apply to us. Good logic, right?

Erin's ring is just beautiful, and she was so excited to see everyone who was there to share this special day with her. Annie and I were both so honored and excited to get to be a part of it, and though it was about 1000 degrees outside and I didn't think I would ever stop sweating, I wouldn't trade one second of it for anything in the world. Erin is going to be one stunning bride, and I can't wait to see how their relationship is used to honor and serve God and other people. I don't think the fact that one of my friends is actually engaged has really sunk in, but I am just so excited for her that nothing could wipe the smile off of my face yesterday.

After a few pictures and a mile-long trek back to our cars, I headed back over to meet Dylan and Megan, and we sat around her apartment waiting for Kevin to get back from fish camp so we could go get dinner. Having eaten only an apple and a cutie around 2:00pm right before the proposal festivities, I was ravenous, and I probably could have eaten just about anything put in front of me. We settled on going to Grub Burger Bar, which I had been to before, but I remembered really liking it. Dylan and I both agreed that it was College Station's version of our Hopdoddy, down to the way you are seated. Though I still think I like Hopdoddy better, I can't deny that my turkey burger was excellent. And judging by the fact that all of our plates were licked clean, I think it's safe to say that we all enjoyed our meals.

Kevin suggested getting frozen yogurt at Yogurtland, and I am not one to turn that down, so we made Yogurtland our next destination. I got a combination of chocolate milkshake, coconut, and raspberry topped with kiwi, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and a sprinkle of coconut. It had been a while since I had indulged in frozen yogurt, and it was just what my stomach wanted.

After frozen yogurt, we met up with some mutual friends for about 15 minutes before getting back on the road to Austin. I got back around 10:45pm, and I was thoroughly exhausted, but it was an absolutely wonderful day that I am so glad I got to be a part of. And, if the proposal video ends up on YouTube, I will be sure to share it with all of you. Shawn did an incredible job with everything, and this is a story Erin will be able to tell forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment