Monday, August 5, 2013

Plumcots

Happy Monday! Today's an especially great one because there are officially only six more months until I can experience feeling happy, free, confused, and lonely all at the same time. If you don't know what song that's from, I'm not sure that we can be friends. But really, today is my half birthday, and being the big birthday lover that I am, I was very conscious of that fact when I woke up this morning. 22 just sounds really old to me, so thank goodness I still have six months to live it up at 21!

This half birthday started out with an 8am shift at SRD, where I proceeded to go through old files on my computer and watch Titanic, which is now available on Netflix. You are welcome for that little tidbit of information.

(Source)
Lunch

I've said it many times before, but one of the perks of working at SRD is the fact that I get to take advantage of their excellent dining hall. When I don't want what is actually being served for lunch, I go on over to the salad bar and make myself a fresh salad, topped with grilled chicken, black olives, tomatoes, and balsamic vinaigrette. That is exactly what I did today, and I enjoyed it alongside a serving of red grapes and carrots with black bean hummus.


After my shift ended at 2:00pm, I walked over to Gregory Gym to complete another mile and a half swim. It's always a good day when you snag a lane all to yourself, and my strokes felt especially strong and fast today. It feels great to start the week with a strong workout.

Once I returned home to the Clubhouse, I was more than ready for a little snack. I made a colorful fruit plate that featured a sliced plumcot, watermelon, and canteloupe. 


Just yesterday, as a thank you for helping him jump his car, my friend Alex offered me my first taste of a plumcot. I was a little apprehensive, especially because I am not a huge fan of plums, but this little fruit was so good that it inspired me to go to HEB and purchase four of my own. Based on this plumcot family tree, I would say I purchased some of the Dapple Fire variety, which also includes a subtle nectarine flavor in addition to the plum and apricot. They are high in sugar, making them taste very sweet, but they are low in fat, are full of vitamins A and C, and are free of sodium and cholesterol. They are available until September, so if you have never tried one, be sure to look for them during your next trip to the store.

And now I'm off to continue working on organizing all the random files and documents on my computer. I'm hoping to stay very organized this school year, so what's better than starting off that way?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS