Thursday, May 31, 2012

Catching Up

Sorry for my absence fitnessandfroyo followers! I am sure that after this delay you are expecting some grand post about all of the exciting things I have done this week. Sorry. That isn't what you are getting this time! Class officially began on Tuesday, and with class comes homework and studying (yes, I have already taken one quiz). While I have been trying to get back into a school routine, I have still managed to fit in some fun things too. Sarah and I went on another beachside run with the IES Running Club and we got to see more of God's beautiful creation. The beauty of this city continues to amaze me each and every day and I love discovering new places that remind me that He is with me every step of the way, even when things start to get hard. I am still loving Barcelona but this week I really started to get homesick for American things - American people, American food (I absolutely LOVE the food here, but I do miss my favorites from back home), and sometimes just the American culture. It is definitely different living here, but I have already grown so much in just 12 days!

Class is going well, it is just very, very long. I go from 10:45am-3:00pm with a 35 minute break for lunch. It is one intensive Spanish class and while I love my professor and my classmates, it is a lot of Spanish for me to handle at one time. I am already learning quite a bit and I feel much more comfortable speaking Spanish in everyday conversation. I still don't speak it very much, but I at least feel more confident in my Spanish-speaking abilities. Thankfully I have Sarah, who is practically fluent, so we get around just fine!

Sarah and I haven't done much this week in terms of "Barcelona-y" things because we are still easing our way into the school week as well as getting ready to travel this weekend. IES has scheduled a "study journey" to Girona and Costa Brava that includes visiting many museums as well as quite a bit of beach time. I am bummed that Sarah and I are on different buses and staying in different hotels, but I am excited to get myself a nice tan! Fingers crossed for good weather!

After a visit to La Boqueria, a huge Whole Foods-esque market on Las Ramblas, and a shopping trip at H&M (love that they have so many of these here!), Sarah and I decided to forgo our regular workout in favor of a 30-minute power walk. The weather outside is so perfect and neither of us felt up to doing burpees in the smelly, stuffy gym. We were glad that we went on this walk because we discovered a park that is absolutely GORGEOUS and it reminded me of the good ol' bayou back in Houston. This park had fountains and it was just so peaceful. I so wish I had my camera or phone with me so I could show you pictures of this wonderful place, but we will definitely be returning soon!

Don't worry - it is not just candy and chocolate that is sold at La Boqueria, there is quite a selection of meat and fresh fruit as well!
After our pleasant walk and a quick shower, Sarah and I headed down to dinner where I was greeted with the beautiful sight of steak -- how American can you get?! I was not complaining, I welcomed it with an open mouth and I ate every last bite. I have no regrets about that one, it was delicious and definitely helped curb any homesick feelings that I have had. I am off to finish packing and (try) to get a great nights sleep - we have a 6:00am wake-up call tomorrow morning! Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS