Thursday, June 6, 2013

Linguistic Discrepancies

Maybe it's the English major in me, but I have always been interested in how word pronunciation differs depending on region. Car-ml or caramel? Loyer or law-yer? These are life-altering questions, after all. So, when I was scrolling through Facebook last night and saw that a few of my friends had shared a link to this article, I couldn't help but read it and get my roommates involved, to see if we were the same, or if we differed in our pronunciations.

(Source)
It turns out that my roommates and I are pretty similar in our pronunciations, and though I think the entire list is worth a read, these are the pronunciations that really get me (I have bolded the pronunciation that I personally use).
  • Crayon - [cray-awn], [crown], or [cran]
  • Mayonaise - [may-uh-naze] or [man-aze]
  • Pecan - [pee-KAHN], [pick-AHN], [PEE-can], [PEE-kahn]
    • I personally say puh-kahn, but that doesn't seem to be an option!
  • Syrup - [sir-up], [sear-up], [sih-rup]

I also had to laugh at many of the pronunciations that singled out the South, and especially Texas. The word bowie knife? Who knew it was actually pronounced bo-wie, and not boo-wie?

(Source)
Enjoy the rest of your Thursday! I get off work at 2:00pm today, am hoping to hit up Gregory to sneak in a quick swim, and then the rest of the day is sort of up in the air. I am planning on going to bed early tonight because I work from 8am-1pm tomorrow, and then I am leaving immediately after that to head to Dallas for a wedding. A girl on my YoungLife team is getting MARRIED, so a group of us are roadtripping down there to watch her tie the knot, and I could not be more excited for her. I am also heading back to Austin that night after the reception, and I don't want to fall asleep on my driver, so a good night's sleep is on tonight's agenda!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS