Friday, June 21, 2013

Free Throws Win Ball Games

Happy Friday! I can't decide if I think this week went by quickly, or if it seemed to crawl along. It moved slow at the beginning, yet here we are, another Friday, and I am finishing up my third week of work. Next thing we know, it will be July. Anyway, like I said, I am working the 2pm-6pm shift today, and then one of my very good high school friends, Amira, is coming up to Austin for the weekend. She was the one who came to Austin with me back in January, but I am excited for some warm and sunny weather that will allow us to partake in as many outdoorsy activities as possible. I anticipate lots of Austin-y things, and lots of good food. I will be sure to give you guys a full report of our day tomorrow night!

Yesterday after I got off work, Dylan and I made a quick lunch stop at Central Market before he got on the road to go to Friendswood for the weekend. Dylan went for a bacon and cheese hamburger, while I opted for the tilapia plate. It was delicious, and it just reaffirmed my belief that Central Market is never a bad idea. There's something for everyone!


After lunch I biked over to Gregory for a late-afternoon swim. I hadn't swam (swum?) in a few days, so it felt good to get those muscles working again. After my swim, I battled rush-hour Austin traffic driving over to Town Lake for an evening walk around the lake before coming home to shower, eat dinner, and watch game seven of the NBA finals. I'm not a huge basketball fan, but this series was by far one of the best that I can remember. Though I was heartbroken to see the looks on the Spurs players' faces, game seven was all that any sports fan could have hoped for. It was back and forth all game, I never saw either team get more than four points ahead of the other, and it came down to the very last seconds. King Lebron just proved to be a little too much for the worn out Spurs. Truth be told, I thought the Spurs were going to take the title in game six, but a couple of missed free throws toward the end of the game did them in. That reminded me of a movie my mom and I watched years and years ago, and the main girl's dad drove this motto into her - free throws win ball games. Of course, in a dramatic championship game, this girl was fouled, and forced to shoot the free throws to win the game. Her dad's voice was on repeat in her head, and if I am correct, she made the free throws to win the game. I have a similar story, though it did not end quite as nicely.

(Source)
When I was in seventh grade, I was playing in the championship basketball game against our rival school - Spring Branch Middle School. The game was being played on my birthday, so just keep that in the back of your mind as you read the rest of the story. It's a short story, because I am still a bit traumatized to this day, but we were down by two points, and I was fouled with two seconds left in the game. What line do you think I had running through my mind as I walked to the free throw line? Anyway, to end the suspense of this story, I missed the first free throw and made the second, causing us to lose by one point. If that wasn't dramatic enough, it was the day of the 13th birthday, so I just thought that was the end of the world. My coach kindly reassured me that it was absolutely not my fault, but I am clearly still unable to fully let go of that game.

And now that you have that story to hold over me, let's move onto today. I slept really well last night and didn't wake up until about 8:00 this morning. I immediately grabbed my tennis shoes and headed out the door to Town Lake. I intended to just walk my favorite three-mile loop and maybe go for a swim or something later that morning, but after I finished my walk, I decided to run a loop as well. My legs were feeling a little heavy, but I managed to complete it, and I had a very sweaty shirt to show for it!

After my run, I set out to make two batches of my banana-oatmeal-almond butter muffins, before making myself comfortable with a good book before work. I ended up falling asleep for about an hour, before making myself get up to do some cleaning before I left for work. I came over to SRD just a few minutes early so that I could make myself a grilled chicken salad, identical to the one I ate the other day, and once again, it was delicious.


Have a very happy rest of your Friday - make sure to do something you enjoy, you deserve some relaxation after a long week!

1 comment:

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS