Thursday, January 3, 2013

Austin, Day One

As many of you know, I took a quick trip to Austin yesterday so that I could move some of my belongings back to my house so my move on the 13th wouldn't be quite as difficult. Yesterday was a very full, very wonderful day, and of course, it started with a workout.

I headed up to the MAC for Felipe's 9am spin class. It was tough, as usual, and my legs were definitely feeling it later that day. It was an interval class, which are typically some of my favorites because you go really hard for a few minutes, and then you get some recovery time. I can't believe I only have one more of Felipe's spin classes before I go back to Austin for good!

After a shower and a few No-Bake Energy Bites, I picked up my friend Amira and we headed toward Austin. We arrived in Austin a little before 2:30, so I unloaded a few things from my car, made up my bed, and we walked to Food Heads for a late lunch. As you all know, Food Heads is one of my favorite Austin establishments, and yesterday's meal did not disappoint. I opted for the Apple Pork Tenderloin sandwich and I ate every last bite. Not only is the food good, but the atmosphere is just precious, and I even found a Spain cookbook to look through while I was waiting for my food. Brings back memories!



After lunch, we headed back to the Clubhouse where I unpacked faster than I ever have in my life so that we could get out and do some exploring. I was eager to visit some of my favorite spots, and I wanted to show them off to Amira as well. We started off on South Congress, because South Congress just screams Austin, and it offers a lot of opportunities for fun pictures. We both brought our DSLR cameras and looked like total tourists.




We explored some of the different shops on South Congress - Uncommon Objects, South Congress Books, Big Top Candy Shop (we were bummed that it was closed until today), and the food trailers that are such a hit in Austin. We also may or may not have stopped in the middle of the street to get a picture of the Austin skyline.
An English major's Heaven 




One of the sites used in Friday Night Lights!


The sun was quickly setting, but I wanted Amira to experience it from my all-time favorite spot in Austin - Mount Bonnell. The sun hadn't been out all day but it came out just in time to paint a magical picture for us to capture.



Austin skyline 


We were pretty hungry by this point - we had done quite a bit of walking - so I took Amira to another one of my favorite places in Austin - Whole Foods. It was a cold, cold night, so I went for some turkey chili, a side of vegetables, and as always, my 48 floz water bottle. It's only $.79, such a steal!



We headed back to my house to charge our phones and drop off our cameras before we headed over to Barton Creek Mall for an 8:55 showing of Les Miserables. Remember how I said I wanted to see that? Well, a movie is the perfect solution to a chilly night in Austin, Texas. Like most everyone else, I really enjoyed the movie. I thought it was beautifully done and I am so glad I finally got to see what all the hype was about. It was rather long, and I wanted to close my eyes for a minute or two, but I thought it was well worth the time. Now I really want to read the book and see the play!

"To love another person is to see the face of God"
Like I said, a very busy day, but a very fun day. Look for Austin, Day Two coming in a bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS