Saturday, January 5, 2013

Lazy Saturday

A productive Friday calls for a lazy Saturday, right? Maybe, but it's certainly not what I had in mind. I woke up this morning, enjoyed my usual yogurt breakfast while sitting at the kitchen table, and when I got up to go into the den, disaster struck. My parents won my brother's football jersey at an auction, meaning it was signed by each member of the varsity football team and put in a nice frame. It's pretty big, so it sat just propped in our kitchen area, not causing anyone much harm. Except for me, that is.

The culprit
I somehow managed to run into the frame and let out a yelp of both pain and surprise. And maybe because of the fact that the second I looked down I saw that my toe was very much out of line. My dad quickly taped it up and though it really did hurt, I was much more upset about the possibility that I might not be able to run in my half on Sunday. I am very determined to run it, though, so I am hoping that it is not actually broken, just merely fractured or sprained. 


Being the gym rat that I am, I was also feeling pretty sorry for myself and the idea that I wouldn't be able to work out, and we all know how important exercising is to me. Then I snapped out of it and realized that maybe I can't do much running or lower body movements, but that doesn't mean I can't pedal away on the stationary bike, get in some good arm workouts, and do some serious ab exercises. I am hoping that I might even be able to swim in a couple of days. Right now, it's very, very sore, but I'm still trying to take a positive view on the whole thing. I am typically not a very injury-prone person, but it seems that before a big race is when I can expect some injury to come my way.

Anyway, after five episodes of Friday Night Lights, I started getting antsy and headed up to the MAC for some arm work. I got a little discouraged when I saw all the people on the cardio machines, but it's just a little broken toe. How long can that take to heal?
Can you kind of see my toe sticking out?
I spent some time on the weight machines side of the MAC before heading over to use the free weights. Here is what each area of my workout looked like. I completed one round on each machine (+ one more not pictured) before starting over and repeating the process three times in all.




Then I moved over to another area of the gym and worked my triceps and abs. I started on this machine with some tricep dips,


and sandwiched 100 crunches on the exercise ball between moving onto this machine and simultaneously working my biceps and triceps.


I then moved onto the free weights and did 15 bicep curls followed by 15 frontal raises. I rested 30 seconds in between and repeated that sequence three times. Then I grabbed a pair of 15 pound weights and did 20 shoulder presses three times, with a 40-second break in between each round. I hardly ever work out my arms like that so I am seriously hoping they are sore tomorrow.

Next on the list was a little bit of ab work. I now know why I tend to neglect ab work. If I don't have a plan in place with some new and exciting core exercises, ab work seriously bores me. I didn't do much t0da7, but I might do a little bit more later while I'm watching TV. I had plans to go out for dinner and fro-yo with a friend tonight, but I just wasn't feeling up to doing much of anything tonight. Here's to hoping tomorrow will be better, and that I can keep a positive outlook, because really, it's not like a broken toe is the end of the world.

Anyway, since cardio is probably out of the question for the next few days, I hope to have some great arm and ab workouts for you. That, and some delicious new recipes, because thankfully, baking doesn't require much use of the toes.

P.S. GO TEXANS! The road to NOLA goes through New England!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS