Tuesday, January 15, 2013

My First Day of Class

Today was the first day of classes for my sixth semester at the University of Texas. Originally I was going to have class from 9:30am-2pm, and then again from 3:30-5pm, but yesterday I switched to an 8am government class so that I will be done by 2pm on the two days that I actually have class, and I have government with one of my roommates. So I now have class from 8am-2pm straight on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Some might call it the ideal schedule, and I would have to agree. I'm looking forward to my last semester of class only, no student teaching required. My final two semesters will be chaotic - fun, but chaotic - so this one should be semi-relaxed. Don't get me wrong, I am still going to have to work hard in my classes, but I am only in four classes two days a week. I'll take it.

Anyway, before I braved the cold and headed to class, I ate a breakfast that I hoped would keep me full until I dug into the lunch I packed myself. My first day of school breakfast featured two Van's waffles topped with peanut butter, banana, cinnamon, and a sprinkle of dairy-free chocolate chips. Starting the day with chocolate is always a good idea.



It's a bit chilly biking to class at 7:40am
So it's hard to get a gage on what a class is going to be like when you have only been one time, and when that one time was "syllabus day." I'll go through a brief description of each of my classes in the order that I have them, starting with government, and ending with an English class.

American Government
I'm still kicking myself for not taking the AP Government test a bit more seriously, because that would have gotten me out of this class, but with all of my small, discussed-based classes, I welcome the occasional large, lecture-based class. And remember how I mentioned that I switched government classes at the last minute? I'm sure glad I did because my professor is hysterical. He walks in and writes a single word on the board: Kölsch. His explanation? "That's my favorite kind of beer and that's the most important thing you can know about me." He is the son of a farmer, and if nothing else, this class will provide me with an early-morning laugh.


Wit and Witchcraft in Renaissance Drama
"Thou knowest we work by wit, not by witchcraft" - Othello 
My professor for this English class is a precious man with a British accent who i part of an exchange program with a school in Paris. We will be reading quite a bit of Shakespeare, which I am really excited about because I absolutely loved the Shakespeare class I took over the summer. He is a talker, but he is extremely knowledgeable, and he says that we are supposed to enjoy literature and the theater, and that if it's not exciting, it is his fault. So I am anticipating this class to be a good one.
The first play on our list
Adolescent Development
One of the classes required by the UTeach program, and it should prove to be a very interesting class - after all, I am learning all about the inner workings of the age group with whom I will be working. This class features class debates over hot topics, interview sessions for a research paper, and participation as subjects in research studies. My professor is extremely intelligent and has a lot of passion for what she teaches, so that's always a huge plus.


English Language and its Social Context
Another class required by the UTeach program, and though I have heard mixed reviews about the excitement level of the class, I think it will prove to be a very useful one. The professor seems great, and though it seems as though it is going to be a very time-consuming class, I think (and hope) that I am going to like it. We began today by talking about language and linguistics, which is something I have never really sat down and studied, so it should be interesting.




So while I really like my schedule, my classes, and my professors, the joke is on me because I have two exams, a research paper, and interview questions all on or due on the Thursday before spring break, plus an exam in my fourth class the Tuesday before that. I am not sure I have ever experienced anything like that, but I am not going to stress out about it yet, I am just going to do my best to stay on top of my work. Speaking of, I'm off to pick up the last of my textbooks, get a jump start on some of my reading, and get in a workout later tonight. Hasta luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS