Friday, January 11, 2013

Another Productive Friday

I hesitate to title this post what it is, seeing as what happened after my last productive Friday. But that's what today was, and I am looking forward to a relaxing evening at home, soaking up my last little bit of family time before I go back to Austin for the semester.

After my pancake breakfast, and gathering some stuff to take back to Austin, I headed out to run a few last-minute errands and take care of some last-minute stuff in the Town and Country area. I made a pit-stop in Barnes and Noble and almost bought a left-handed planner, but I just took pictures of my favorite quotes instead.


I then made my way over to the George R. Brown Convention Center for the Aramco Houston Half Marathon packet pick-up and race expo. I am a huge sucker for race expos so I enjoyed walking around, snagging all the free samples I could, and purchasing a SweatyBands headband that I don't really need, but who can pass up showing a little Longhorn pride? I hope I get to use it on Sunday because not only is my toe still in question, the weather is too. Race officials seem to be concerned about the chance of lightning, but I know I wouldn't complain if the start time got pushed back an hour or so!


So true 
Track me as I run!
I need to remember this while I am running on Sunday!
The exit sign
Since I was so close, and I've been wanting this picture for months, I stopped an Eleanor Tinsley Park to be a total tourist and snap a picture of the Houston skyline. I have so many of Austin and I need to be fair to my hometown! There's just something about it, and I'm hoping the next time I am home I can do a bit more exploring because there really is so much beauty to be found in Houston.


I finally headed back to my side of town but made a stop at my rival high school to visit one of my volleyball coaches from Stratford. I also know two of the other volleyball coaches over there so I stopped by to say hi and to give them some of the baked goods that my family has been munching on for the past day or two. It's always great to see one of my all-time favorite coaches, and we'll forgive her for moving over to the dark side.


Then it was time to meet Amira for a last hoorah in Houston before we both leave to go back to school. Amira goes to LSU and doesn't have many opportunities to come home, and when she does get to come home, I'm usually buried deep in school work because our breaks never seem to coordinate. Since we are both big frozen yogurt lovers, we decided to try Pinkberry, the frozen yogurt establishment that started in California and sort of started the whole frozen yogurt trend. It finally made its way to Houston so I couldn't leave Houston without giving it a shot!


Y'all, it was good. I got a combination of the chocolate hazelnut, which was sweet enough to go alongside the original, which was the perfect amount of tart. I got strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries as toppings, and I was excited to see that they have jumped on board with having peanut butter as one of the many topping options. Spain was the first time I had ever seen peanut butter as a topping option, and one of the employees informed me that they get it from Italy. I didn't end up getting it this time, but now that I know it's there, you can guarantee that I'll be making a return visit.


And since it's right across the street, I made a stop at Central market so I could stock up on my beloved carob chips that I can't seem to find anywhere else in Houston. I know I am returning to Austin, the land of plentiful carob chips in just two days, but I obviously need my chocolate fix before then.

Now I'm at home, planning on starting a new Netflix series (stop me, please), starting a new book, or maybe just taking a nap. It's a beautiful Friday, though, so I'd love to get outside and enjoy it!

1 comment:

  1. Great to see you today KTom! Hope the toe holds up and you have a great marathon. See you next time you're in H-town!

    JA

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS