Tuesday, January 1, 2013

No-Bake Energy Bites

There are recipes for these energy bites all over the Internet. In fact, they were one of the very first things I ever pinned on Pinterest, and they have been a constant on my Pinterest feed for the past year and a half. I had never actually gotten around to making them, and I'm not sure why because along with being so incredibly easy to make, they are delicious, nutritious, and the perfect burst of energy for someone who doesn't like coffee.

A friend and I are roadtripping to Austin tomorrow, and I decided that these bites would be the perfect roadtrip snack. They are a breeze to make, and here are the ingredients that I personally used, but feel free to mix it up and add in your favorite mix-ins. They are sure to be a hit among your friends!

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup almond butter (or any type of nut butter)
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1 cup old-fashioned oats
  • 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp coconut flakes
  • 1/2 cup crushed walnuts, vegan chocolate chips, raisins
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp cinnamon


Directions

1. (optional) Heat oven to 350 degrees and bake oats for 8 minutes
2. Combine all other ingredients in a bowl and stir - if ingredients are at room temperature, they should stir fairly easily, but if necessary, you can most definitely stick the bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds or so
3. Add the oats and continue stirring


4. Cover the bowl (I used a paper towel) and place in the refrigerator for an hour or until combined
5. Remove from the fridge, scoop out some dough and roll (or smush) into little balls - be prepared for some messy hands!
6. Place the balls in an airtight container and put back in the fridge for easy access to a delicious snack for as long as they last - which I don't anticipate to be very long!

Whoops - I consumed a few along the way!

If you decide to make these, what are your mix-ins of choice? I want to try them with flax seed and crushed almonds, and I think mini M&M's or mini Reese's would be fun to add to the mix as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS