Sunday, January 6, 2013

Thankful: A to Z

The first Sunday of the new year calls for an A to Z survey of things that I'm thankful for. I truly have so much to smile about, and it was good to put it down on paper - or on the computer. If I'm ever feeling like the world is against me, aka my professors during this coming semester, or my darn broken toe, I can look back on this and realize that my life is pretty sweet.

A- Austin
Mount Bonnell. South Congress. Sixth Street. Lady Bird Lake. Tiff's Treats. Lake Travis. Barton Springs. Zilker Park. ACL. Kerbey Lane. Austin is one of the coolest cities in the world.



B- Baking
If you follow me on Instagram, or you have been reading my blog long enough, then you probably know how much I love to bake. My "sweet treats" board on Pinterest easily has the most pins, and I love trying out new recipes for my family and friends. There is nothing I love more than making people smile with some baked goods.




C- City Centre
Anthropologie, J. Crew, Lululemon, Ruggles Green, Cyclone Anaya's, Kendra Scott. Need I say more?




D- Dessert
Stressed spelled backward is desserts, and who doesn't like sinking their teeth into something sweet and delicious? I try to lead a relatively healthy lifestyle, but if I can eat it (aka there's no dairy involved), you probably won't find me turning it down.


Frozen yogurt, of course
Dairy-free chocolate ice cream
E- Exercise
Can I get paid to exercise? The feeling I get after a tough workout is one of the best feelings in the world. I am beyond thankful for the ability to exercise and push my body the way that I do. Exercise makes me happy, and after a good workout, there is nothing that I can't handle. 
F- Friday Night Lights
This is just a good show. It's about way more than just football, and it doesn't hurt that all of the actors are easy on the eyes.
(Source)
G- Granny
I know I gave a shoutout to my Granny in another post, but she was seriously one of the most special people in my life. She was always there to see me get off the bus after school. She took me to the library or bookstore every other day during the summer. She wrote notes on the napkins that she put in my lunch. She was a special lady who touched the lives of everyone she met, especially mine.


H- Houston
I know I just raved about how great Austin is, but that doesn't mean I don't love Houston. I have grown up here my entire life and I absolutely love it. I have already dedicated a post to how cool Houston is, and every time I come home, I discover something new and cool to do.
Williams Tower 
Water Wall 
Galleria
I- Inspirational quotes
Before Pinterest came along, I typed up every quote that I found and liked and printed it out so I could paste it into this notebook that I had. I am a huge sucker for inspirational quotes, and every so often my parents will send me a good quote that they run across.




J- Jesus
I am thankful for a man who would die on a cross so that I may have life, and have it to the full. I truly can't fathom that kind of love, and I am thankful to know someone who would do that for me.
K- Kindle
I learned how to read when I was just about four years old and I never looked back. As an English major, I am always reading, but even when I don't have a book I have to read for school, it is common to find me with my Kindle in hand. Reading is dreaming with your eyes open.
L- Life
I am thankful that I have been given this life to live. Our time on this earth is so short, so why not try to make a difference while we're here? Life is too short to dwell on the negative and to be mean to others. There's always a reason to smile and "there is always, always, always something to be thankful for."




M- Mount Bonnell
One of my favorite spots in the world. It is the highest point in Austin and I am always reminded of how big my God is whenever I visit this beautiful spot.



N- New York City
Though I haven't been since I was three years old, I have always been fascinated by the wonder that is New York City. Maybe it was because it was my Granny's favorite place in the whole entire world so she talked about it a lot, or maybe it is because it seems like such a magical, exciting city. Whatever it is, I can't wait to return - I have a list a mile long of things that I want to do while there.
O- Olympics
If you follow me on Twitter, you may have wanted to unfollow me during the Olympics. I absolutely love the Olympics. Not only is it a chance for young men and women to showcase their incredible talent as well as how hard they have been working for their entire lives, but it is a time when our world can set aside our differences and unite for a common good.

P- Parents (and brother)
My family is so very important to me. They are my supporters, my rock, my number one fans. I am so thankful to have such a loving family, who never fail to make me laugh, who put up with my quirky habits, who always welcome me with open arms, and who would do absolutely anything for me.
Q- Quiet time
Quiet time is so important. I need time every day to reflect, think, journal, read, and pray.



R- Running
I have mentioned this before, but I used to hate running. I played volleyball, so we did a lot of sprint work, but the thought of running even a mile made me want to cry. When my volleyball career ended, I knew I had to find something to keep me in shape. My first winter break home from college, I seriously started running and I am so glad I did. I love pushing myself to beat my last time, I love running along the bayou or around Town Lake, I love discovering new spots to run, and I love the "me time" running provides.
S- Spotify
I love music. I love finding new music. I listen to music when I study, when I cook, when I'm getting ready, when I'm running. I love Spotify because I can pay a monthly fee of $9.99 and get as many songs as I want. I easily download more than eight songs a month, so I am more than getting my money's worth.
T- Traveling
"The world is a book and those who don't travel read only a page."
When I am older and out in the real world, you can bet that I will have a travel fund. I want my motto to be to live simply and see more. There is so much beauty out there just waiting to be seen, and I want to experience as much of it as I can.







U- UT
Though it wasn't originally my first choice of colleges, I truly believe everything works out the way it is supposed to. I love UT and all of the opportunities it provides. I have met some of the best friends I could ask for, living in one of the coolest cities in the world, and I am truly thankful for the opportunity to attend such a great school. Hook 'em!



V- Volleyball
Oh, volleyball. The sport that gave me so much (and that I gave a lot of time to as well). I miss volleyball every day, and I take any opportunity I can get to play. I hope to be a coach myself one day, and give back to the sport that truly gave me so much.





W- Water
I love water, and I am thankful to have clean water to drink every day.


X- X-tra fuzzy socks
Okay, I cheated, but "X" is such a difficult letter!
Y- Yelp
This isn't quite as heartfelt and sentimental as others have been, but I love Yelp because if I am ever in an area that I don't know much about, Yelp can help me find the nearest smoothie.
Z- Zucchini
And other delicious vegetables that keep me healthy and kickin'!

Enjoy your Sunday! T-one week until the Houston half - let's hope my toe starts feeling better soon! To look on the bright side, I might finally fulfill that dream of swinging around on crutches for the next few days. I'm probably being over dramatic, but it really does hurt to put a lot of weight on my toe, so I might as well try to help myself in any way possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS