Sunday, January 27, 2013

Fitness: A to Z

It's that time again - Survey Sunday!

Today's Survey Sunday comes to you in the form of another A to Z list, this time it's anything and everything to do with fitness and working out. I may list gadgets and accessories on here that I don't own, but that I would like to own one day, or just that I think are pretty cool. With a blog name like "fitness&froyo," I feel like I should be promoting fitness any chance I get. Enjoy!

A- Asics
I am about to retire them, but my trusty pink Asics have been with me for quite some time now. I love them for the support and stability they offer my knees - I tend to pronate when I run - and I would definitely purchase another pair. 


B- Bananas
Bananas are my go-to food the morning of a major race, and I am not alone in that decision. Bananas are proven to be safe pre-run fuel and the carbohydrates found in them provide energy for runners. Plus, I can eat them with peanut butter, and any excuse to eat peanut butter is a good one in my book.
C- Circuit Training
Though circuit training will not be the first thing that comes to my mind when I am thinking of what workout I want to do that day, circuit training is such a great workout. You can single out one part of your body, work your whole body, or get your heart pumping with some cardio.
D- Dumbbells
I have recently discovered the art and importance of strength training, so dumbbells and free weights have become some of my very good friends. There are a plethora of exercises you can do with them, and here are a few of my favorites. 



E- Exercise Ball
I used to love ab workouts, but they tend to be few and far between these days. I tend to think that I am working my core while doing other exercises, but the one ab exercise that I incorporate into my workout routine at least once a week is crunches on an exercise ball. I don't get bored and I guarantee you will feel the burn.
F- Fuelband
Though I don't own one, I am very fascinated by the Nike Fuelband. It tracks your all-day activity, which I love. I would love to track the days which I tend to be most active, and the days which I tend to be less active. If you use one, let me know how you like it!
(Source)
G- Garmin Forerunner
I don't own a Garmin either, but I am dying to get one. I spotted a pink one at a store in Houston that is not too big and bulky, but it does exactly what I want it do: tracks my time and my distance. I always guess my distance based on time, but I'd love to know an exact distance, because something tells me I tend to overestimate how far I've run!
(Source)
H- Headphones
If I don't have headphones, it probably won't be an enjoyable workout.
I- iPod
Same with an iPod. Lately, I've been using my iPhone, so forgetting it hasn't been much of an issue, but it is a must have for me on my runs. Sometimes I just need music to take my mind off of what I am doing!
J- Jump Rope
I thought I might have lost my zest for jumping rope after four years of Stratford Volleyball, where our coaches were very jump rope happy, but I incorporate the jump rope into my workout routines every so often. It is a great cardio workout, and I so often forget that. 
K- Kettlebell
I used this more when I lived at SRD, mainly because they had quite a few in their fitness center, but I have contemplated investing in one of my own more than once. It is such a versatile piece of equipment and it can tone your body fast. See if your gym has one next time you go.
(Source)
L- Leggings
I usually don't wear leggings while I am working out, but I wear them just about every other time of day - during the "winter." I actually don't like regular pants that much, so leggings, a t-shirt, and tennis shoes are my go-to lounging (and not-lounging) outfit. 
M- Mizunos
Mizunos are my tried and true. They were my first official pair of running shoes and I loved both the look and the feel. I am about to start breaking in my newest pair of Mizunos and I can't wait until they are molded to my feet.


N- Nuts and Nut Butter
I eat one of the two (or both) every single day. If I'm not careful, I can easily eat 1,000 calories worth of nuts (and I probably have). I will pop a few of them in before a workout and be on my merry way. The same goes for peanut butter. I can pair it with almost anything and call it a successful meal or snack.
My favorite snack
O- Oatmeal Bars
I think y'all know by now that I have an obsession with my oatmeal bars. Which is funny because I don't care for regular oatmeal at all. I think it's the texture. But I almost always have my oatmeal bars on hand because they are easy to eat both pre- and post-workout. Plus, I can make them a little bit different each time and I know they will still be good.



P- Pool
Though I am just recently getting back into it, swimming is one of my favorite workouts of all time. It works your entire body, and swimming laps just relaxes me in a way that many other workouts don't. There is also nothing I love more than swimming laps outside under the summer sun. Nothing.


Q- "Q" was really tripping me up this time around, and I still haven't thought of one, so if you have a good fitness move or gadget that starts with a Q, please enlighten me!
R- Running
I used to hate running, but it is easily my favorite form of exercise these days. I love the thrill and challenge that training for a race brings. I love that running can be done anywhere, with very little equipment, so there is really no excuse for not working out while you are on vacation. All you need are tennis shoes, headphones, and maybe a GPS if you are in a new city!
S- Spinning
I have such a love/hate relationship with spinning. I love it for the workout that it provides, and it is sort of fun, in a weird, twisted sort of way, but it is so hard. I leave every spinning class drenched in sweat, trying to figure out what the heck I just did. Felipe's Wednesday morning class will forever be my favorite, and if I am in Houston on a Wednesday, you can find me there at 9:00am.


T- Treadmill
Though I am currently in my running outside phase, I love discovering (and creating) new treadmill workouts. Sprinting is such a challenge for me, so while I sometimes curse myself while doing it, I always feel great afterward. 


U- Under Armour
While I do tend to gravitate more toward Nike products, I do have a few Under Armour products that I really like. Under Armour tops were my best friends while I was on my Wilderness trip.
V- Videos
Okay, so this one should probably be DVD's. but it's within the same category. I don't do them often, but there are so many great exercise videos out there - Jillian Michaels, P90X, Insanity, and even video games like the Wii and X-box Kinect. They are a great traveling or at-home workout tool. There's never an excuse for not working out!

Jillian Michaels is my go-to girl (Source)
W- Watch
I used to detest wearing watches, but now it will be hard to find me not wearing one. When I am running, I have to have my watch or else I'll think I've run five miles when it's really only been five minutes. Plus, I like to count down the minutes until Felipe's spinning class is over.
X- X-tra thick socks
Again, the "X" is tripping me up, but I was ready for this one. X-tra thick socks are essential for me to have on my long runs, or else I can likely say hello to a few new blisters making their way onto my feet. I bought a three-pack of sport socks at the Austin Marathon Expo two years ago and they are my favorites.
Y- Yoga Mat
I am not an avid yoga-goer, though I wish I was, but a yoga mat is still a necessity for me. I don't want to use a mat that numerous other people have sweat on, so my yoga mat stays in my car, just in case the occasion ever presents itself.
Z- Zumba
Admittedly, I've never taken a Zumba class. I took ballet for one year and evidently hated it, so that was the end of my dancing career. I think I am intimated by the thought that everyone else will know the steps, and I will be the one in the back looking like a lost puppy. I've never heard bad things about a Zumba class though, so maybe I should give it a shot one of these days soon!

I am probably going to remind you in every post from now until January 31st, but if you are wanting to sign up for the Pretty Muddy Run, be sure to do it by January 31st, because the price is going to go up on February 1st, 2013. Register NOW! You won't regret it! Be sure to use the discount code!

P.S. I can't end this post without a special birthday shout out, and this one goes out to my very best friend - my mom. I can't put into words how much you mean to me and how grateful I am for everything you do for me. Mostly, thank you for showing me what it means to put other people before yourself - you set a true example for me and I am so proud to be your daughter. Enjoy your special day and be sure to eat some Hungry's for me!



2 comments:

  1. Hi there! i came across your blog and enjoyed reading it. i'm a new blogger in Texas and have started a blog about reaching my goal of running 1000 miles this year. check it out if you have a chance runningathousandmiles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kelsie! Thanks for stopping by - I checked out your blog and I love it - I love what you are doing, and your posts are so informative. I will definitely be adding you to my reader list. I also read that you went to Baylor - some of my good friends go there, how fun! I can't wait to follow you on your journey to 1,000 miles!

      Delete

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS