Saturday, January 19, 2013

Vegan Cookies

Happy Saturday! The weather is perfect today and I am about the head out the door for my second run since my toe injury. But first, I have a recipe to share with you. Being lactose intolerant is hard because I am a huge cookie monster. My grandmother used to send me care packages about once a month that had a box of her homemade chocolate chip cookies and I would eat them until my stomach hurt, and then eat some more. They were bite-sized and delicious, but since butter and chocolate are ingredients normally found in chocolate chip cookies, I had to give those up so that I could salvage my sensitive stomach.

I was new to Austin and the whole "no dairy" thing, so I had yet to discover the world that is vegan baked goods. Vegan is always a safe bet because I know there will be absolutely no traces of dairy in them. One of my roommates, who is an actual vegan, made these cookies for a cookie exchange right around Christmas time, and I was eager to recreate them because they were SO delicious the first time around. She found the recipe for me yesterday, and after taking a look at it, I decided to modify it, just a bit, to make the cookies just a bit more healthy.

Instead of the two cups of sugar, I mashed up a ripe banana. Instead of 3/4 cup of canola oil, I used 1/4 cup. I used just one cup of carob chips instead of one-and-a-half cups, because I didn't want the chips to overpower the rest of the cookie. I also threw in a handful of coconut because I have just learned of my love for coconut, so I have been adding it to almost everything lately. It just adds a little something.


The recipe told me to leave them in the oven for no more than ten minutes because they run the risk of hardening and not being as chewy and gooey as desired. Sarah and I took them out after ten minutes, but we realized that our cookies didn't really flatten on their own at all, so we sort of turned them into "thumbprint cookies" and flattened them out ourselves. We both thought they were delicious, and I think many other people came to that conclusion because we had a few visitors last night who were chowing down on them. So, if you are looking for a delicious, chocolatey, healthy cookie to satisfy your sweet tooth, you should give these a try. I promise you won't even notice that they are vegan.

1 comment:

  1. are we going to have a survey sunday? or something along those lines

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS