Sunday, June 21, 2015

Currently

Happy Sunday, and more importantly Happy Father's Day to any and all dads out there. I could go on and on about mine, but I'll keep it short and sweet. He loves golf more than anyone else I know, in fact, he dragged me to golf lessons at the ripe age of four. I was a little put out because they gave me right-handed clubs, so golf didn't end up being my sport. He gave me my love of chocolate, and he gladly taste tests anything I pull out of the oven. He grills the best hamburgers in the neighborhood, and he loved nothing more than enjoying a beer with the dads of the boys who were toilet papering our house. He spent hours with me at the pool, he lets me live at home rent-free, he's trying to teach me the value of a dollar, he supports my heart for adventure, he'll never say no to a bookstore or ice cream excursion, and he has given me the world and then some. I don't even know the half of what he's done for me, but I think he prefers it that way. I'm the luckiest girl in the world that I get to call this one my dad.






And now, let's get going with another Sunday survey. I found this one over at Carrots 'n' Cake, and I've done loads of "Currently" posts, but each one has been at least a little bit different. And besides, a currently post changes on the daily, right? Right.


Current Celebration: I am officially PADI Open Water Certified! And those are words I never thought I'd be saying, so we can certainly raise our glasses to that. Can I also celebrate the fact that I've been getting ultra-organized these past couple of weeks? I'm in one of those moods where I want to get rid of absolutely anything that is no longer of any use to me. For someone who had a hard time saying bye to her middle school and high school t-shirts, that trust me, I was never going to wear again, this is a big step.


Current Confession: I’m not sure if this counts as a "confession," but I might be entering the YoungLife world once again! I attended a Southwest Houston YoungLife Young Professionals dinner about a month or so ago, and I hesitantly checked the "I'm interested in becoming a volunteer leader" box. I recently met up with a couple of Southwest Houston staff members, and while I'm still a little bit on the fence about it, I have decided that I will attend the August trainings - because my August is so full of free time, right? - before making my decision.

YoungLife Part One
Current Product Find: I haven't personally found any new products that are worth raving about on the blog, but I am on the hunt for one. I used to have a turquoise sideways cross necklace that I wore pretty frequently, but the cross charm recently shifted out of place. I'm on the hunt for another one, so if you know of a place where I can find a colored sideways cross necklace, you know where to find me. Because thus far I've only managed to find gold or silver, but I'm always a fan of a little bit more color every now and again.

As pictured in this photo
Current Plan: I don't have much of one this week. I'm coaching a little volleyball, attending a couple of open gyms at Bellaire, and really trying to cross the little things off of my to-do list. This is my last relatively free week of summer, and it is going to go by faster than I think. I had a pretty lazy day today, so I'm hoping that will gear me up for a productive week.

Current Book: I’m currently reading yet another Young Adult novel - The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. Though I'm not very far into it at all, I'm really enjoying it so far. It's told from the perspective of an autistic teenager living in England, who is really good with numbers and logic, but is overwhelmed by everyday life. I'm hoping to finish it this week so I can review it on this week's edition of Things I'm Loving Friday.

Apparently it's a play as well (Source)
Current Purchase: Shoes. Shoes. Shoes. Shoes. Shoes. Apparently putting me on a clothes-buying ban has shifted my priorities over to shoes, but I think I've finally reached the end of that rope as well. The summer before seventh grade I customized a pair of Nike Shox and they were my favorite pair of shoes in the whole entire world. I wore those things until they could legitimately no longer be worn. So, upon failing on my recent quest to find some red and white Nikes, I headed over to NikeiD to make a pair of my very own. And I cannot wait for them to come in the mail.


Current Drink: Water, water, water. It's hot, hot, hot here in Houston, and I am doing my best to stay hydrated. Especially with all the time I spend outside. But if I'm not drinking water, I'm probably sipping on one of my homemade smoothies. The perfect treat on these 90+ degree days.

Current Holy Moly: I don't have many words when it comes to what happened in Charleston this past week. But I will say that I am absolutely blown away by the fact that the victims' families came out and said they forgave the shooter who took their loved ones' lives away from them. Because now the message reaching the world is one of forgiveness, not one of anger or hate.

Current Show: You guys know I have never been much of a TV watcher. I don't follow any shows regularly, and I'd much rather read a book than watch television. That being said, I do enjoy watching The Price is Right in the mornings, as it's a show that I obviously don't get to watch during the school year.

(Source)
Current Want: With so many people I know spending time in Asia this summer - a place that has never really crossed my mind to visit - I myself have become obsessed with the idea of spending some extended time exploring part of the country next summer. I'm really not familiar with Asia at all, but it has suddenly crept higher and higher on my travel bucket list. While the entire continent can't be done all in one trip, and there are a couple of countries that I wouldn't mind nixing, I am hoping to sneak in a scuba trip to the Maldives, because who wouldn't want to see the Sea of Stars in real life?

(Source)
Current Obsession: Rachel Platten's Fight Song. I mean talk about a never-give-up anthem. In fact, this song came about because Rachel Platten decided to ignore the small voice that kept telling her to give up, that she wasn't good enough. It took Rachel Platten 12 years to get to where she is right now, and I think it's so important to remember that we are going to have to work hard for things. And while we're on that journey, we're probably going to hit a few setbacks. But it's then that the fight makes all the difference.

I hope you guys enjoyed a wonderful and relaxing weekend. My weekend left me with a very tired (and bruised - more on that to come) body, but with a very full heart. I got to spend time with quite a few of my friends this weekend, and it left me feeling grateful for summer vacation - because sometimes you have to stay up until 1:30am chatting with your best friends. And be on the lookout for a couple of Houston restaurant reviews later this week! Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS