Friday, June 26, 2015

Things I'm Loving Friday XXXIX

Here we are - another Friday! This week seemed to fly, but that's probably because I had little things to do each evening of this week. Volleyball consumed Monday through Wednesday, but last night I attended my first Astros game of the 2015 season. The Astros have created quite a bit of noise this year, and at one point, were the hottest team in baseball. If you knew what we have been dealing with in Houston these past .. many .. years, you would understand why this is such a big deal. It was on my summer list to attend a game, and what's better than attending a game against those all-too-famous New York Yankees? We had a wonderful time at the game, and we even got the victory. And I am officially a Jose Altuve fan. He may be small, but he is mighty!



But now, it's time for another round of Things I'm Loving Friday!

Niko Niko's
Houston's #1 Greek restaurant, and a place I'm almost embarrassed that I had never been to before. I'd heard of it, I'd put it on my to-eat list, and yet, until last Friday, I had never taken the plunge. Hanna and I were long overdue for a Trouble Twin date, so when she suggested Niko Niko's, after being inspired by the many people who are exploring Greece this summer, I was all in. And in true Kelli form, I could not decide what I wanted. I knew I had to get a pita sandwich in some way, shape, or form, because Niko Niko's is known for its pita bread. But did I want to go with the famous gyro? Chicken? Pork? Niko Niko's is prepared for people like me - offering a menu item called the Hat Trick Combo, which features a mini gyro, a mini chicken kebab sandwich, and a mini pork sandwich. The best of all worlds, and I ate every last bite. The pita was the star of the show, and while I loved each pita sandwich, I think the gyro takes the cake.


Hat Trick Combo
Fat Cat Creamery
What is dinner without dessert, right? And what is summer without ice cream? So when you put the two together, you've got yourself a winning combo. Especially when the ice cream in question came from a shop that made this list of The 33 Best Ice Cream Shops in America. What I like about this hole-in-the-wall creamery is the unique flavors - some vegan, some alcohol-infused - that aren't too out of the ordinary. I went with a scoop of the Chai Tea Coconut, which is dairy-free, though the dairy-free Pina Colada was calling my name, too. Hanna went with the Whiskey Butter Pecan and Coffee combination, and we enjoyed our ice cream while sitting outside on the porch catching up on life on a most beautiful Texas evening. 



Common Bond
Another beloved Houston establishment. Which became evident to me upon walking in the doors and seeing not one open seat in sight. Luckily, Amira and I were stopping in for only a sweet treat or two, but I vowed to come back to enjoy an actual meal, because everything looked delicious. And not only did the food make a nice appearance, but the restaurant's decor and atmosphere did as well. Big windows letting in natural light, and long tables that may have you sitting next to someone you don't necessarily know. Making new friends is a good thing. The star of the show, however, was the showcase of pastries, cookies, and all things sweet. I opted for a bag of granola for myself, that I have enjoyed over the course of this week with almond milk and dairy-free chocolate chunks, and a package of different-flavored macarons for my family. My mom raved about the lemon, but the salted caramel has consistently been given five stars. Evidently their croissants are some of the best around, but unfortunately for me, I've just never liked the things. But when all is said and done, Common Bond certainly did not disappoint, and I will be making a return sooner rather than later.



99 Things All Yuccies Love
This article is it. A friend posted it to Facebook while I was in Cozumel and it had be cracking up laughing in my bed. Then Amira and I were later discussing how we're not quite hipsters, but we're really not yuppies, and the term that best describes us would be yuccies. Young Urban Creatives who want to be "successful like yuppies and creative like hipsters." I can't even list the numbers that resonate with me, because it's really almost all of them. The dollar section at Target is my demise. Half marathons are my thing. The words "guac" and "margs" are a part of my vocabulary - I'm all about the abbrevs. Taylor Swift is my girl. I haven't used a real alarm clock in years. And my selfie stick was almost as worthwhile an investment as my GoPro was. Love us or hate us but we're all around you.

Selfie stick in action
Jordan Spieth
I'll admit that I'm not the world's biggest golf fan. Sure, my dad signed me up for golf lessons at the age of four - the same age Spieth was when he received his first golf club - but it is one of the few sports I never really got into. I really enjoy Top Golf, but that's about all I've got. But you'd have to be living under a rock to not have heard Spieth's name - he not only won the 2015 Master's, but he just won the 2015 US Open as well. A former Longhorn and only 21 years old, he seems to know what's up. His family is extremely important to him, and he credits much of his success to his younger sister, Ellie, who has a neurological disorder that puts her on the Autism spectrum. You can't help but root for the guy who has so clearly remained focused on what's really important in life, realizing that not everyone gets the opportunities that he's had. He has worked hard and he has remained humble, and for that, we'll light the Tower.


(Source)
theSkimm
I'm years late to this one. Years. But in my defense, it's not as if I didn't know about it. I did. I just chose to ignore it. But just the other day I took the plunge and subscribed to theSkimm. What's great about theSkimm is that it allows you to do just that - skim - while still staying up on everything that's going on around the world. So what is it, exactly? It's an email newsletter that delivers the news in a conversational way. The founders - Danielle Weisberg and Carly Zakin - sort through the daily news and the headlines and construct a newsletter targeted toward millennials - women, in particular. It is delivered to your inbox every morning around 6am, and it allows readers to be in the know about pretty much all current events in a way that very much fits our generation. You won't spend more than five minutes reading, but you'll walk away feeling as though you can confidently contribute to the intellectual and important conversations your co-workers are having. Want to experience it for yourself? Sign up here.


(Source)
And that's all I've got for you guys. But check back later because my plan is to share a delicious breakfast recipe with you guys. If not today, tomorrow for certain!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS