Friday, June 19, 2015

Things I'm Loving Friday XXXVIII

Here we are again - another Friday! As much as I love earning a little bit of extra cash working volleyball camps, I am also thankful for the downtime I'm being afforded right now - some time to clean and organize, to catch up with friends, to try new recipes, and time to just be still. It's something I'm not very good at, but something that is so necessary. Because once July hits, it's go-go-go until Christmas break. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. Let's focus on some things I'm loving this week!

Lindsey Redifer Art Work
When you're an "adult," you find yourself wanting to own adult things. But sometimes you don't always appreciate the adult prices. Because it doesn't take long to realize that being an adult is expensive. But then you're introduced to beautiful and unique art that both fits the adult mold and is very affordable. Much of Lindsey's art is inspired by the outdoors and the colors she uses are what immediately stood out to me about her oil paintings. Based in Austin, many of her paintings feature some of my very favorite spots. Which is why I couldn't resist purchasing this painting of this Mt. Bonnell tree.



Cyclone Anaya's
One of my Houston favorites. Sam and I enjoyed lunch here on Tuesday, as one of his last meals in Texas before heading off to Asia for ten weeks, and I was reminded of just how much I love this restaurant. I wish I had taken a picture of my food - the Grilled Salmon Salad - because not only did it taste good, but it was pretty, too. Known for its homemade Mexican recipes and real family hospitality, Cyclone Anaya's is one to visit if you ever find yourself in the Houston area. And fun fact: Cyclone Anaya's (not the City Centre location, obviously) was the very first restaurant my dad visited upon moving to Texas.


I didn't take a picture of my food, so here's a picture of Sam and me in all our freshman year glory
Keds
Because I've stopped buying new clothes, I've been on a serious shoe kick. Okay, it's not too serious, but I have found myself gravitating toward the shoe department lately. I am traveling to New York City in about a month, and it's no secret that it is a major walking city. And while I have my trusty Chacos, I also wanted something a bit more ... cute ... to wear around this fashionable city. Cheyney suggested white Keds, and that was all I needed to hear before finding myself at DSW trying on a pair of Keds for size. I missed out on wearing Keds as a kid - opting for tennis shoes, always - but it's never too late to treat yourself to a classic. I even ordered a pair in red, because these will be perfect to wear while walking through the halls of BHS. And though I'm not a huge fan of the liner socks, I decided I'll just suck it up for the sake of these cute and practical shoes.



It's Kind of a Funny Story
Alex lent this book to me before I left for Mexico, and I sure am glad he did. It had actually been on my to-read list for quite a while, but it sort of fell by the wayside during the school year, and by the time I found some time to read, other books had stolen my attention. It's Kind of a Funny Story is, in the simplest terms, a book about depression. But it's not a depressing book. It's funny, it's raw, and it handles the complexities and pressures of what being a teenager looks like. Craig came from what many would call a "good" family, he is smart, and his future looks bright. But then the expectations come crashing down, and he finds himself contemplating suicide. I absolutely devoured this book, finishing it in about two days, and it's another one that I gave five stars to on GoodReads. You truly never know what someone is dealing with, and I try and remind myself of that everyday when I walk through those classroom doors. He labels things 'Tentacles' and 'Anchors,' which I think is something everyone can relate to. It creates what I think is a very realistic picture of depression, and I really loved that the reader is left with some hope upon finishing the book.


(Source)
The Brain on 23
On my 23rd birthday, Amira sent this article my way. And I told her it was going to make the blog. And then I never posted about it, but I did save it on my phone. And now is as good a time as ever to post it, right? Before all of my friends start turning 24 on me. I am sure you have gathered by now that 23 is a hard age. We're fresh out of college and starting this new phase of life. And half the time we're not even near where or what we want to be. We long to travel back in time, even just a few months, when we're living with eight of our best friends, and the rest of them live just around the block. We don't know life without social media, and that adds pressure beyond what anyone deserves. We feel guilty for feeling miserable, because in the grand scheme of things, life right now isn't that bad. I still consider myself a kid, but maybe that's because I'm frequently confused as one. I've been reminded by those who have come before me that I'm only 23, and that I have time to figure it all out. To stop worrying so much and to enjoy it. Because there's absolutely no way to know what's coming next. But so far, I've found it to be a pretty good age, even if nobody likes you when you're 23.






And I've got another busy day ahead of me. Here's to sunshine and very little rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS