Thursday, June 11, 2015

It's Up to You New York, New York

Happy Thursday, my faithful followers! I feel like I left you guys hanging with my post last week that listed all of the things I hope to cross off of my list this summer. I briefly mentioned a trip to New York, but I have yet to explain myself. So I think it’s about time that I do that. Upon returning from my time in Mexico, I’ll have about a month to unpack (which based on my track record, it will surely take me that long), work a few volleyball camps, attend a summer professional development (who am I?), relax, and plan my first real trip to New York City. Sure, I went to the Big Apple when I was three years old, but do I remember anything except for making snowballs? Not at all. So it’s hard for me to count it.

(Source)
Meanwhile, many of my friends were far more adventurous than I am, and they moved to New York City upon graduation from college. Some of them are pursuing careers in advertising, while others are choosing to go the fashion route. It seems to me that New York City caters very well to both of those professions. And not only do they call New York City home, but so does my very own cousin. A little wanderlust caused me to figure out if I could crash with him for a few days as I took a solo trip to the city that never sleeps. I'm considering it my "I survived my first year of teaching" present to myself. And with all of the things that I hope to get done while I am there, it looks as though I'll fit right in.

Which brings me to all of the things that I hope to do, see, and eat while I am there. I've actually had a New York City To-Do List for quite some time now, so my first step was opening that document and seeing what would make my must-do list, and what could be taken off. The 9/11 Memorial is an absolute must, as is biking through Central Park, attending a Broadway show, admiring the view from the Top of the Rock, wandering through the MET, and a trip to Bloomingdale's, among many other "touristy" things.

(Source)
(Source)
But then I went on a quest to find some of the less touristy things. The hidden gems, if you will. While I would love more than anything to enjoy the famous frozen hot chocolate from Serendipity 3, that's just not going to happen. I discovered a gelato lab I want to try (because National Ice Cream Day happens to fall in the middle of my trip and gelato is close enough), a few New York-exclusive exercise classes I want to take, and simply take the road less traveled.

(Source)
I want to find the lagoon in Central Park South referenced by Holden in Catcher in the Rye. I want to ride the carousel to escape all the phonies. I want to visit the Strand bookstore, and I want to walk the High Line. I plan to run Brooklyn Bridge, eat "Breakfast at Tiffany's," see what the hamburgers at Bareburger are all about, and most of all, fully embrace all that New York has to offer. Understanding that I'm not going to get to everything. But to take advantage of every minute.

(Source)
(Source)
But we're about to board our flight to Cozumel, so for now, it's all about that fun in the sun. See y'all from Mexico!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS