Friday, June 5, 2015

Things I'm Loving Friday XXXVI

Dang it, guys. I was on such a streak with Things I'm Loving Friday. And then last week, with the excitement of finishing my first year of teaching, I just couldn't find the energy to post. All faculty and staff were required to be at school on Friday - to fill out our check out sheets (and run around like a crazy person trying to get those signatures), to pack up our classrooms so the janitorial staff can wax the floors, and to attend a most delicious luncheon so generously hosted by the Bellaire PTO. 

But, I'm making a comeback this week. And hopefully that's the only Friday that I miss. 

Hugo's
It would have made such sense if I had actually posted last week, because it's now been a couple of weeks since I first visited the deliciousness that is Hugo's. We actually didn't mean to go to Hugo's. Our original intent was to go to Brick and Spoon, but the wait time was an hour and a half and there was no way I could commit to that. We meandered down the road to Hugo's, and I sure am glad we did. We hit the Sunday brunch scene, which I give an undisputed five stars. It was a bit on the pricey end for a buffet, but it was more than worth, in my opinion. The meat was so tender, and though I wasn't always entirely sure what I was eating, I just couldn't stop. Combine that with their famous blackberry mimosa, and I was one happy camper.



All the Bright Places
Y'all. This book was ah-mazing. I know I briefly mentioned it in this post, but I want to be sure to give it the recognition it deserves. I actually bought it on impulse, when I made a Target trip during a long STAAR-monitoring break, and I couldn't pass up strolling through the book section. The cover admittedly caught my eye, and though it falls under the YA category, but I absolutely recommend it to anyone - parents, teachers, and of course, students. It is such a raw depiction of teenage depression, suicide, and loneliness, among other topics, which are very real things that affect the lives of high school students. I saw it every day and it absolutely broke my heart. Not a lot of books tackle these subjects, but this one does it so incredibly well. While this will only resonate with you if you have read the story, I would love to have all of next year's kiddos write down all of their "bright places" on sticky notes and stick them on a designated spot in the room.



92-Year-Old Marathon Runner
If this isn't the most inspirational story you've heard in a while, I don't know what is.
The first thought that went through my mind when I saw this on the news? If she can do it, I can do it. Not that I'm taking anything away from her, because my Granny was movin' and groovin' right up until the very end. But you better believe I will be thinking of North Carolina's Harriete Thompson as I train for and complete my first marathon in March. Running to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma society - she's also a cancer survivor - Mrs. Thompson is the oldest woman to complete a marathon, and last year she set a record in her age group. She is an inspiration to many, and she proves that there are absolutely no excuses when it comes to getting your sweat on.


(Source)
Running Late
Up front you are warned that this article may offend some people. And maybe this portion of my post will offend some people, too. But if you guys have been reading fitnessandfroyo with any sort of regularity, y'all know that tardiness is hands down my biggest pet peeve. And not only because I hate the thought of wasting time, but because running late is rude, selfish, and inconsiderate. This article articulates it a lot better than I ever could, but to keep people waiting past a time that was originally agreed upon? Even if it's just dinner. Because then you're building these bad habits, and what happens when you show up late to a work meeting, time after time after time? Of course, there are unavoidable issues, and I am certainly guilty of running late myself. But I can probably count those times on one hand. So next time you have a plan to meet someone, be truly honest about how long it's going to take you to get ready. And be truly honest about how long it's going to take you to get there.

(Source)
The Book Thief
Okay, I'm going to go total English teacher on you guys and review two books. I recently finished Marcus Zusak's The Book Thief, after hearing rave reviews from just about everyone. I actually borrowed a copy from a teacher at school before heading out for summer vacation, and I'm not sure that I want to give it back. (To be fair, I did lend him my copy of the first Harry Potter book, and something tells me it may not make it back from Vietnam.) Anyway, if you haven't read this book, do yourself a favor and pick it up right now. Set in World War II Germany, this novel immediately draws you in because it is narrated by Death. And while it could certainly be a morbid, depressing book, it isn't. Humor runs throughout the novel, there are glimpses of hope weaved into many of the pages, and love is such a prominent theme. Words can't do this book justice, but I feel as though everyone should pick this one up and give it a read. 

(Source)
Have a fabulous Friday! I'm off to get in a little bit of exercise before doing a little bit of baking, a little bit of packing, and running a few errands here and there. I planned to get a little bit more done yesterday than I actually did, but a most wonderful happy hour with some of my Stratford America faithfuls took precedence over anything else I might have crossed off my to-do list. Those high school friends are just good for the soul, and they can be all the motivation you need to put make-up on for the first time in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS