Thursday, June 26, 2014

Four Weeks

And my AP Institute is officially a wrap! Though I certainly won't miss sitting in a freezing cold classroom for almost nine hours a day, I did gain lots of valuable information and resources. Among one of the many things I learned this week, I learned that I am a very visual learner, and I am really in no way an auditory learner. I tend to need to have things in front of me so that I can follow along and make marks as needed.



One of my favorite things that we did was something we did in the morning session yesterday. We were talking about Mary Shelley's novel Frankenstein, in which the monster is given life and then immediately abandoned by his parents. We read many articles that deal with that same concept, and they spoke to the idea that for many students, high school is not a wonderful place, but "the positive effect of one loving relative, mentor, or friend can overwhelm the negative effects of the bad things that can happen," students need to have at least one role model, and while I'm certainly not naive enough to think that I'll be that for every student, and I may never know it if I am, I'm going to keep channeling that personality and classroom atmosphere anyway.



And for a more light-hearted read, I can't wait to use this piece to teach argumentation and fallacies.

Waffle Cone Wednesday

Yet another item has been crossed off of my list - TCBY's Waffle Cone Wednesday. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this phenomena, it is the one day a week that you can get a delicious soft-serve waffle cone for only a dollar. TCBY is a safe bet because they don't serve any ice cream (as we were informed last night), so I can go there without many allergy worries. They even have a few completely dairy-free flavors, so it doesn't get much better than that.


(Source)
Anyway, Dylan and I planned to get a little snack after he got off work and before our 11pm intramural volleyball game. I mentioned it to a few of my roommates and they thought it sounded too good to pass up. We all made our way over to the TCBY on MLK Boulevard, and I went with the chocolate almond (made with almond milk), and Dylan listened to my advice and went with strawberry. I think the fact that only the paper surrounding the cones were left on the table speaks for itself.



And I mentioned an intramural volleyball game. I am on a team with Dylan and a few of our friends, and we somehow got the 11pm game time draw. Dylan, our other friend Rey, and I met up at my house around 10:30pm, and we ended up being the only three people who could play. Though we knew we weren't going to get the W, we decided to head over to Gregory Gym anyway just to see if one, we could quickly recruit someone to play on our team, and two, see if we could play around anyway. We ended up getting in about an hour of good play, and I think all three of us walked back to the car feeling like it was an evening well spent. As much as I love watching sports, I absolutely love playing sports, especially one in which I have some skills!

Workout

We have had some really strange weather this week, resulting in a little less swimming than I originally planned. I did manage to squeeze in a swim on this Thursday-that-feels-like-Friday, and it was a nice break from the focus I have been putting on my legs these past few days in spin class.

Dinner

Normally (or not really normally anymore due to our busy schedules), Dylan and I go to dinner on Thursday nights. Tonight was not an exception to that tradition. And though we normally try to go somewhere a little nicer than usual, sometimes a quick, familiar dinner is all that you need. Tonight we did just that so that we could share a quick meal before Dylan's intramural basketball game. We ate dinner to Pei Wei, and I immediately knew that I was going to order the chicken lettuce wraps.



They were absolutely delicious - I think homemade chicken lettuce wraps are going to make an appearance on the blog soon!

And on that note, I'm off to collapse on my bed. It's been a jam-packed week, and I am both physically and mentally exhausted. And today marks four weeks until the "big" move back to Houston. Yikes - that means we are only four weeks (and one day) away from one crazy schedule!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS