Tuesday, February 21, 2012

First Run Back


I'll be the first to say that when my alarm goes off a little bit before seven, I am not always eager to jump out of bed and workout, especially after going to bed at almost midnight the night before. However, I knew that with the busy day I had ahead of me, if I didn't work out before class, it wouldn't get done. I also know that my workouts may or may not happen on Wednesday and Thursday due to various tests and papers, so I decided to just suck it up and get out of bed to go for a run.

It's that time of the semester - so much to do!
Yes, I decided that my back felt well enough to go for my first run in over TWO weeks. First of all, let me stop and say that my legs and butt were SO SORE from my leg workout yesterday, which made getting out of bed even tougher. I do love the feeling of being sore though because it often indicates a good workout.

The Color Run: the cause of my two week running hiatus
I got dressed in shorts and a long-sleeve t-shirt, which was totally unnecessary because it got hot once I got going, and set out on one of my favorite runs - to the capitol and back. My back felt great at first, but once I got about a mile, it started to bother me a little bit. Although, I am not sure if that should be attributed to my back pain, or to the soreness that resulted from yesterday's workout. I am hoping pretty sure it is the latter.

I was definitely moving a little bit slower than usual, but that is okay because it felt great to be able to run again! I was so jealous when I saw all the Austin Marathon runners as I was driving to church on Sunday morning, and I am a little worried that I came back too soon, but I am also hoping that running will somehow make it better? We will see. I hobbled from class to class but I really think that is because of the 100 squats that I did yesterday. Yes, you can call me crazy!

After my run, I headed down to the fitness center to do a mini arm-ab workout. It wasn't much but it did manage to make my arms feel fatigued.

Exercise
Weight
Reps
Sets
Pushups
Bodyweight
20
5
Tricep Pull Downs
45 lbs
15
3
Tricep Dips
Bodyweight
15
3
Ball Crunches
Bodyweight
30
3
Side Ball Crunches
Bodyweight
30
3
Frontal Raises
14 lbs
15
3
Lateral Raises
14 lbs
15
3
*Exercises in the same color means the sets were completed back-to-back

After a shower and my yogurt breakfast, I headed out the door for four and a half hours of class + office hours. I really do enjoy my classes, but back-to-back-to-back classes was probably not my best decision in terms of energy level. When I finally finish class for the day, I am already pretty tired but I often still have quite a bit of work to do. Today, however, I received this little pick-me-up in the mail:


My mom always knows how to put a smile on my face!

Happy Fat Tuesday! Are any of you giving anything up for Lent this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS