Saturday, March 10, 2012

Walkability

I hope your Saturday has turned out to be a good one! I finally motivated myself to go to the gym and I just finished enjoying one of my favorite dinners of all time - grilled burgers, courtesy of my dad who makes the best burgers around town - with a side of broccoli. It doesn't get much better than that!

Do y'all like the Christmas plate?
My workout today was also good and although I have done this leg workout before, it was particularly tough today. I started out with a 3.6 mile run on the treadmill, followed by 10 minutes on the stair master. That was enough to get me sweating! I then completed a leg workout, complimentary of PBFingers (no surprise there!).

Exercise
Reps
Sets
Squats
100
1
One-legged leg press
15
3
Step-ups
15 each leg
3
Kick-backs
15 each leg
3
Lunges
15 each leg
3
Wall Sit
60 sec
3
Hamstring ball curls
15
3
*Exercises in the color means all sets were completed back-to-back

Walkability

As I was leaving the gym, heading over to Leibman's to get my mom and me some of their delicious Tomato Duet Dip to share, I received a text from her reminding me to pay the MAC bill. Luckily, Leibman's and the MAC are so close to each other that this wasn't a problem but it got me thinking about how if I were in Austin, I most definitely would have walked the distance between those two places as opposed to driving as I am forced to do in Houston. Austin is the epitome of a walkable city, as every which way you turn you see people either walking, running, or biking. I love how easy it is to walk to the convenience store and even to restaurants in Austin, and it makes me realize just how silly I would look walking down Memorial Drive in Houston to go get something to eat. I found a website that can tell you your cities walkability score, and my address in Austin earned a 92 out of 100 - a "Walker's Paradise." What did my address here in Houston receive? A whopping 48 out of 100 - "Car-Dependent." I love how walkable Austin is and I know that I will have a hard time moving somewhere after graduation that is not walker or biker friendly.
Always walkin' - even in cowboy boots!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS