Thursday, August 9, 2012

Döner Kebap

Y'all, I am just loving this boot camp. Though I have veered off on a few of the workouts, I have been doing most of them and they are great. I have said it before, but I love how they allow me to create my own workouts that cater to my fitness needs, but they provide me with structure so I am not just pulling things out of thin air. Today called for a progression workout, and my treadmill workout ended up looking like this:

I had two breaks in the midst of my workout, one because I accidentally pulled the magnetic cord, immediately stopping the treadmill, and another because I got extremely thirsty and I was evidently too lazy to go get my water bottle from my room (two flights of stairs above me), despite the fact that I realized I had forgotten it before I even started my workout. Talk about an oxymoron! Anyway, I got really thirsty around minute 21 on the treadmill, and because that was one of my "recovery" minutes, I decided to hop off and grab a quick sip of water. I am usually not one for stopping in the middle of a workout, but what can you do? It was a great workout that left me very sweaty. I love these interval-type workouts because they prevent me from getting bored, and boredom comes very quickly to me when I am on a treadmill. Running outside in this Texas heat and humidity is just not an option, though!

After a shower, and a quick glance at the SRD menu, I decided to try a little place on the drag that can easily be overlooked unless you know it's there: Vert's. Funny story: My cousin, the one who lives in Philadelphia, is the one who told me about this place. I know, it makes no sense! But, I mentioned before that she was studying in Berlin this summer, and she happened to be in the same program as two students who attend UT. Döner kebap's are famous in Germany, and my cousin couldn't stop raving about them, which led her to lamenting over the fact that they don't really exist in the United States, except for a little hole-in-the-wall place in Austin, right near campus. I was shocked to hear this, though I really shouldn't have been because there are many places in Austin of which I have never heard, but once I discovered that it was literally right by SRD, I decided I just had to check it out.
(Source)
It used to just be a mobile food truck! (Source)
I wandered in to find something that looked a bit like a cafeteria line, and a menu with few, but equally delicious-looking, options. Since I was a first-timer, I opted for the true Döner Kebap, the other options being a wrap or a bowl, filled with the traditional beef / lamb after a recommendation from the server, and topped with lots of delicious veggies. It was huge, but don't worry, I finished every last bite. 


It was so, so good, and the baked bread absolutely stole the show. I don't know why anyone would opt for anything else! It was so warm, filled with delicious goodness, and kept me full for hours. I will definitely be making a return visit. The only downside is that, with the addition of grilled veggies, the cost came out to almost $10. Hey, even poor college students deserve to splurge every once and a while, right?

Lex, if you're reading this, thanks for the recommendation. I give it two thumbs up. I might have to make a visit to Germany just to experience a true Döner kebap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS