Monday, August 13, 2012

Southpaw

I had mixed feelings upon waking up this morning - there is truly no greater feeling than waking up in your own home, but knowing that I couldn't turn on NBC and watch whatever Olympic sport happened to be on was a sad realization. I l-o-v-e the Olympics (as I am sure you all have gathered), and I am already looking forward to Rio. It makes me sad knowing that we saw the end of Michael Phelps and the May/Walsh duo. They have given us twelve years of incredible moments and they will forever hold a place in my Olympic-lovin' heart. 
(Source)
(Source)
I drove home from Austin last night, getting home around 6:45 due to quite a bit of traffic on I-10 - a fitting welcome back to Houston - stopping home to say hi to my family, and immediately heading out to meet a friend at, you guessed it, Berripop! We ended up staying there until closing time, just talking and catching up on our respective summers. Gotta love seeing those high-school friends!
A fitting welcome back to Houston
This morning was filled with my final essay, unloading my car, and of course, a trip to the gym. Today began Week 4 of Tina's Best Body Bootcamp, and it was very similar to last Monday's workout, the only change being that I held the actual moves for four seconds, which most definitely added to the fatigue. I have been slacking lately on doing the actual bootcamp workouts, so I am excited to get back in my groove. After a filling smoothie from Smoothie King, I headed home to shower, unpack from this summer session, and repack for the big move into my new house. Life of a college student - constantly moving! The amount of stuff I have just seems to keep growing.

Loving my Angel Food after a sweaty morning at the gym!
My packed car
Moving on, today is a very special day, as it is a day dedicated to celebrating lefties nationwide: National Left-handed Day. Being a lefty myself, I am a huge proponent of this day, because we lefties are a special breed. While I love being left-handed now, I used to hate it. I was always singled out at sports camps, and I was always told to "just do what I do backwards." Because that's easy to do. One time I got sassy and told them that if they want me to do what they do backwards, they need to provide me with a mirror. Yes, I actually said that. Oops! I eventually got over my aversion to being a lefty and grew to love it, throwing people off while playing various sports with a left-handed spin on things. Though I still struggle with smearing things every once in a while, and have a hard time finding left-handed scissors, I think being a lefty is the coolest, so happy lefties day to all my fellow southpaws out there!
I was once told that I had a "wicked left-handed serve" 
My friends found a lefties store in Spain!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Southpaw Day! As a fellow lefty, I can relate - but I hate the fact that I can write a neat handwritten note (pen smears!). Writing my wedding thank you notes was painful and frustrating! But, we're special nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I totally agree! And finding left-handed softball gloves back in the day was a nightmare! But yes, we are very special!

      Delete

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS