Sunday, August 19, 2012

Tall Socks

Happy Sunday morning! It's overcast here in Austin, which makes for a nice last shift at my beloved SRD. I really can't believe that this is my final farewell to a place that has treated me so well for the past two years. I am so excited for the new RA's who are currently going through training - they will be wonderful - but that truly means we are SRD alumni, and I will certainly miss having all of my friends under one roof.
Can't believe this was a year ago - so much love for these girls!
Yep.
Before I arrived at the desk this morning, I hit the gym for an easy workout - again because I knew I would be sitting for a while today, so I would want to get my blood flowing. I am pretty sore from yesterday's workout, so some light cardio while reading Misty May-Treanor's book was perfect. I started off with 20 minutes on the stair master and finished it up with 30 minutes of incline walking on the treadmill and a few good stretches to ease some of the soreness.

I was getting my workout gear together last night as I packed up my bags so I would be ready to drive back to Houston after work, and I didn't feel like digging through my duffel bag to find regular socks, so I pulled out the first pair of socks I could find: mid-calf socks from my volleyball days. They are meant to be worn under ankle braces, and I am not quite sure why they were even in my duffel bag in the first place, but I proudly sported them at the gym this morning. I must say, I was lookin' good.

Now it's time for my new Sunday tradition:

1. What did you eat for breakfast?
I know I said last Sunday that it was my last SRD yogurt, but today was for real my last SRD yogurt. I wasn't sure if meals would be available this week since it's the awkward break between summer school and fall semester move-in, but they were! So I savored my final SRD yogurt this morning, and it was delicious!

2. How much water do you drink a day?
Well, ever since the start of Tina's Best Body Bootcamp, I have set a goal of drinking at least 64 oz of water a day, and for the most part, I have achieved and/or surpassed that. Surprisingly, I have found that it is much easier to accomplish this goal when I am in Austin rather than in Houston, but since water is pretty much the only thing I drink, I have to stay hydrated!
This $.89 water bottle from Whole Foods makes drinking a lot of water easy!
3. What is your current  favorite workout?
I am loving swimming (must be the summer weather), but I also love treadmill interval workouts as well.
4. How many calories do you eat a day?
I honestly have NO idea. I have never been a calorie-counter at all, but I would assume I eat a relatively healthy amount. I don't think I always follow serving sizes very well (can anyone stop at one serving of nuts?), but if I just stop when I'm full, I am good to go!
5. What are your favorite healthy snacks?
Apples or bananas with peanut butter, fruit salad, eggs, yogurt, homemade protein squares, Triscuits, nuts - I'll pretty much eat anything and everything that sounds appealing to me for a snack! I am a pro snacker!
Can't go wrong with this combination
One of my recent addictions
6. What do you usually eat for lunch?
It depends - I used to just have whatever SRD had on the menu, but this year I will be responsible for my own meals - eek! I am a huge sandwich fan - quick, easy, and delicious - but I usually have some sort of meat with fruits or vegetables on the side. I am trying to get better about eating more salads, though!



7. What is your favorite body part to strength train?
Legs. I have always had pretty strong legs, so squats and lunges don't phase me! :)
8. What is your least favorite body part to strength train?
Arms, for sure. My legs definitely have most of the strength, and working my arms wears me out much quicker than working out my legs.
9. What are your “bad” food cravings?
I don't really consider anything to be too "bad," but I can snack on popcorn or Triscuits like they are going out of style. Truly, I could probably finish off an entire bag / box in one sitting.
10. Do you take vitamins or supplements?
I take Gummy Omega-3 supplements - hey, don't laugh - at least I recently upgraded from the kids version to the adult version. My doctor tells me pretty much every year that I need to take calcium supplements since I don't drink much milk, but I haven't really gone through with that quite yet!


11. How often do you eat out?
I eat out more often when I am home in Houston, just because there are so many of my favorite restaurants to go to and so little time to do it! But I try to go out to dinner with friends at least once a week here in Austin.
Dinner with some friends on our last night in Austin
12. Do you eat fast food?
Nope, well, except for Chick-Fil-A every once in a while! They do have the best chicken around town. And okay, McDonald's has some darn good breakfast food!
13. Who is your biggest supporter?
My family, for sure!
14. Do you have a gym membership?
Of course! I am a total gym rat - and I think one of the only strikes against Austin is that it doesn't have a gym quite as homey-feeling as my gym in Houston. Or maybe it does and I just haven't found it yet!
My friends call this my second home
15. How many hours of sleep do you get a night?
I usually get between seven and eight. I love sleep, and my friends often make fun of me for how early I go to bed - I'm the grandma of the group! - but I am definitely more of a morning person than a night owl.
16. Do you have a “cheat” day?
No. I don't restrict my food, so if I want something, I eat it, even if it's not necessarily the healthiest choice. Obviously I can't eat sweets at every meal, but I generally let myself eat what my body craves.
I won't ever deny myself frozen yogurt!

17. Do you drink alcohol?
Nope!
18. Do you have a workout buddy?
No. I usually prefer to workout alone so I can get into the zone, get in a great workout, and get out of there. I do like going to the gym with people, but since everyone has different exercise needs, rarely will I do the same workout as another person. Exercising is good "me time," and it allows me to think about things - as random as they may be sometimes!
19. What is the best thing that has changed about your life since committing to a Healthy Lifestyle?
I love the way a good workout can make me feel - I can be having a less-than-stellar day, and after a great workout, I feel as though I can conquer the world. I also love it when people tell me that I inspired them to start running or just working out in general. Elle Woods said it best when she said, "Exercise makes you happy!"
20. What was the last healthy thing you did?
I got in some steady recovery cardio this morning before work, and ate my delicious (last) yogurt breakfast.
See you guys from Houston!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS