Saturday, February 23, 2013

Fitness and Frozen Yogurt

Clever title, right? Well, this post has a little bit of both for your reading enjoyment, so just prepare yourselves.

Last night after campaigners, I headed over to SRD to pick up a friend. She didn't live on my hall last year, but I got to know her through one of the girls on my hall, and we had been meaning to get frozen yogurt and catch up for a long time, and last night we finally got together.

We went to an Austin original - Hut's Hamburgers - and it was both of our first times to eat there. The place is a cute hole-in-the-wall type place that is obviously known for its hamburgs. I fully intended to get a hamburger or a chicken sandwich, but it was so cold outside that I made a last-minute decision to get the veggie chili, because I thought it would warm me right up. It wasn't the best chili I've ever had, but it was still good, and it did its job of getting me warm. And I apologize for the lack of a picture, I took one (of course), but it wasn't my best, sorry!

I really loved the atmosphere of the place, and I will definitely be going back to actually try a hamburger. I have to see if they measure up to my dad's burgers!

(Source) 

After dinner, we set out to try a new-to-us frozen yogurt establishment, but when we got there, it was closed. I was pretty bummed because I always love trying new frozen yogurt, but it just wasn't meant to be. Instead, we went to The Yogurt Spot and I had a combination of razzgranate sorbet, chocolate, mint, and toasted marshmallow (sounds weird, but it tasted great), topped with a spoonful of strawberries. It hit the spot, and my stomach was definitely satisfied after that little adventure. Plus, it was great to see and catch up with Chloe.


Workout

This morning started bright and early, as I was at the gym by 7:40am. I originally planned to swim today, because my weather app said it's supposed to be in the 70's and sunny later on today, but I have hopes of knocking out a huge chunk of one of my research papers, so I figured working out first thing would be a step in the right direction.

So, I decided on a quick interval treadmill workout, followed by a functional training workout that I modified from a workout that was posted on Instagram a few weeks ago. My treadmill workout looked like this:


Sprint workouts are always the hardest for me, which is pretty surprising since I did my fair share of sprinting all over the volleyball court back in the day, but sprint workouts never fail to leave me huffing and puffing.

Once my time on the treadmill was done, I started on my functional training circuit.


The box jumps just about killed me, which is also surprising because the summer before my senior year of high school, I did box jumps probably three times a week. I guess that was kind of a long time ago, but I didn't expect my legs to be quite as shaky as they were!

I followed that circuit with three rounds of another mini-circuit that I sort of put together on the spot, and it included exercise ball wall squats, tricep dips, and 30-second plank holds. I then rounded out my time at the gym with a little ab workout, and I'm fully anticipating a sore body tomorrow, because it's been a while since I have done any sort of functional training like that. Now I'm off to start on that research paper - wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS