Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Ash Wednesday

Today's weather is a nice change of pace from the weather we have experienced the past few days. It is another picture perfect day here in Austin and I am taking full advantage of it. This morning started off nice and slow just like it did on Monday as I grabbed my Kindle and read while eating my breakfast that consisted of Van's Flax Waffles topped with peanut butter and dairy-free chocolate chips. Like I said, it's hard for me to go a day without chocolate.


After letting my food digest and reading a chapter in my government textbook, I headed over to Mueller Park for my last longish run before the Austin half on Sunday. I ran 5.4 miles at an 8:23 min/mile pace. I guess the beautiful weather helped me run just a little bit faster than usual today. Tomorrow I plan on taking advantage of what I hope is another beautiful day and swimming, while taking it easy on Friday and running two miles on Saturday before the big race on Sunday. I'm excited, and if the weather is as perfect as it is today, it's going to be a great race!


Lent

Today is Ash Wednesday, which marks the first day of the Lenten season. Usually I try and give something up, something along the lines of sweets, chocolate, or frozen yogurt. While that is all fine and great, I am not usually successful, nor do I feel as I'm doing it for reasons that draw me closer to God, but more for my own self-benefit. And I'm not saying that people who do give up these things are wrong, because for some people, giving up sweets or soda is truly a sacrifice. I'm just saying that it doesn't work for me. So, instead, I am going to write down, or at least consciously think about, five things that I am thankful for each day. I won't bore you with my list each day, but just to start off the Lenten season on the right foot, here's what's on my list today:
  • Sunshine in February
  • Honeycrisp apples
  • Peanut butter
  • Professors that care about you
  • Legs that allow me to run
And now I'm off to do some homework at Starbucks by Murchison Middle School to hopefully see some of my girls on this beautiful day.

Are you giving up or doing anything to celebrate Lent this year?

2 comments:

  1. i gave you a shout out today in my blog about other great fitness and health related blogs. check it out: http://runningathousandmiles.blogspot.com/2013/02/healthy-living-blogs.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you so much - I am so honored to be mentioned with those other great blogs, and I am still so inspired by your blog and what you are doing - your runs are INTENSE! I can't imagine running in the snow!

      Delete

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS