Sunday, February 10, 2013

Austin: A to Z

It is Survey Sunday, and I want to keep this going as long as possible, so I'll squeeze in a post all about my current city - Austin. I'm sure a few things will be repeats from previous A - Z lists, but I'll try to keep it as original as possible for y'all.

A- Art
Castle Hill is what comes to mind specifically, but how can you rule out the iconic "i love you so much" wall art, and the Hi, How Are You frog on the drag?



B- Bananarchy
Hands down my favorite trailer in Austin (that I've tried, at least). Frozen bananas dipped in peanut butter or chocolate? You just can't beat that on a hot summer day.



C- Capitol
Austin is the capitol of the great state of Texas, and the Capitol building, no matter how many times I've seen it, never ceases to amaze me. It even makes me want to learn a bit more about government, or at least take a tour of the Capitol building.
D- Domain
High-end shopping, incredible eating, and a fun atmosphere is what makes this outdoor shopping experience an unbeatable one. 
E- East Austin Coffee Shops
Bennu, Cherrywood, and Thundercloud are among the favorites of UT students, but there are plenty cool coffee shops to be found in this part of Austin. Always check the website before you go, because you might get lucky and go there for an open mic night, or even a comedy night!
F- First Thursday
I have yet to cross this one off my list, but it's the first Thursday of every month (hence the name), and all of the shops stay open late while you enjoy live music and stroll up and down SoCo with your friends.
G- Greenbelt
Hiking, swimming, running, and biking - there is something for everyone (and their dogs) on the Barton Creek Greenbelt.


H- Hey Cupcake!
.. and other food trailers. Austin is pretty famous for its food trailer scene, and they really don't disappoint. They are starting to spread, at least to Houston, so if you have the opportunity, you should definitely give them a visit.


I- Ice Cream
As weird as this is, Austin has some pretty great ice cream establishments. Amy's, Lick (which is known for its vegan flavors), and we even have an Ice Cream Festival. Yep.
J- Juan In A Million
I have only been here once, but the Don Juan challenge has been featured on Man vs. Food, so you know it has to be a winner.
K- Kayaking (and Paddleboarding)
Austin truly has the coolest outdoor activity scene I have ever seen. Kayaking, Stand Up Paddleboarding, Row Boating, there is truly no end. You also get a great view of the Austin Skyline.

L- Live Music
Austin is the live music capitol of the world, and though Austin City Limits and South by Southwest are the two most well-known festivals, Stubb's consistently has great performers, and you'll even find live music when dining at places like Central Market.


M- Mt. Bonnell
I've said it before and I'll say it again - one of my favorite places in the world. It's the highest point in Austin and I've seen more than a few proposals happen up here. Just saying.



N- Nighttime Bat Watching on Congress Bridge
This is something everyone should do at least once. From March to early November, you can watch 1.5 million bats emerge from their hiding spot under Congress Bridge. Truly a spectacular sight.




O- Omelettry
I know today was my first time eating here, but now that I have, I know I will be going back.
P- Pennybacker Bridge
I've also mentioned Pennybacker Bridge, but I have yet to find a sunset that can beat one seen from up here.



Q- Quack's Bakery
One of the best things about Austin is the unique, one-of-a-kind restaurants and bakeries you will find here. Quack's Bakery is one of them, and they not only sell baked goods, but they feature a full beverage and deli menu as well.
R- Rudy's BBQ
It's Texas. I had to mention barbeque at least once. If you're in the area, I highly recommend checking out Rudy's. Whatever you order (I recommend the chopped beef sandwich), is sure to make your mouth water.
S- South Congress
One of the coolest streets in all of Austin. Eclectic shopping, food trailers, and great restaurants make up this happening street.


South Congress Books

T- Town Lake
One of my favorite places to get in a peaceful walk or run. You can't beat the view, and you will feel like one of the fittest people in Austin once you become a frequent on this trail.
U- University of Texas
Enough said. Hook 'em.


V- Vulcan Video
One of the few video stores left, this family-owned video store is sure to have almost any old movie or TV show. One of my favorites? Heavyweights.
W- Whole Foods
If you haven't been to the Whole Foods Headquarters here in Austin, you haven't lived. Just kidding, but it's truly a great one, and I'm so spoiled to have it so close to me!


X- X, you have stumped me again!
Y- Yogurt Planet
It's no Berripop, but Yogurt Planet's pumpkin flavor is to die for. Located in the triangle, it's a pretty close destination for when I need my frozen yogurt fix. 


Z- Zilker Park
Austin's most beloved park. It hosts the Zilker Tree and the Trail of Lights, Barton Springs, and the Kite Festival, among other things. It's also a great place to hang an eno and catch some z's. 

Thanks, Luke, for the idea! I had a lot of fun naming some of my favorite places in Austin. Speaking of Austin, I am crossing one more thing off of my "To Do in 2013" list, as I am officially running in the LIVESTRONG Austin Half Marathon this coming Sunday. One of my roommates, Katie, is running in it, and one of her high school friends just realized that she had a prior engagement that would prevent her from participating. She asked Katie if she knew someone who would be willing to purchase her ticket, and she pretty much talked me into it. Not that I needed much convincing. I loved running the Austin half my freshman year, and I am hoping that since this is such a spur of the moment decision, I will stay injury-free. Fingers crossed! Like I said, exciting news for me, maybe not quite as exciting for you. I just had to share that little piece of news with my wonderful readers. See y'all later!

2 comments:

  1. There is an ice cream festival in Austin?! How did I not know about this?? Also, I haven't been to first Thursday either! If you don't go before the summer (or if you but want to go again), we should do that when I get back! Roomie date??
    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Let's go to First Thursday when you get back! Meanwhile.. I'm still super jealous of all of your England adventures! Hope you're having the best time ever!

      Delete

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS