Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Girl Scout Cookie Debate

Happy Hump Day! I received some exciting (to me, probably not to y'all) news yesterday, so I decided that I had a little extra time to use for a blog post today. In the midst of a slight panic attack over how much I have to do and how there are simply not going to be enough hours in the day to accomplish everything I want and need to accomplish, my sweet Wit and Witchcraft professor told us that we can hand in our 15-page research papers the Tuesday after spring break. I was so happy that I could have hugged him on the spot. And while I am so grateful for this extension, I still want to finish as much as I can before the break, or at least get a good rough draft done, so it is not hanging over my head all break. I have other things calling my name! So, today and tomorrow will be dedicated to my research paper, and Friday through next Thursday will be me studying for the three exams I have next week. I honestly don't think I have had three exams in a week since high school, so we'll see how this goes! I'm probably being over-dramatic about this, but I'm used to writing papers, not taking tests, so I'm a little bit rusty in the studying department.

Workout

This morning was spent working on my research paper, and I needed a little sweat session to keep me form going stir-crazy, so I headed to the gym for a 12:00 cycling class. I have a triathlon coming up in just under two weeks, that I'm probably not prepared for in the least, but I'm still really excited for it, so a spinning class seemed like the way to go today. Anyway, I took this same cycling class last week and felt really drained when I arrived home. Today I felt much more energized going into the class, and I felt pretty good afterward, too. There was a substitute instructor today, but I really liked her. She had a bit of a sassy personality, and the class was tough, but definitely manageable.

I actually arrived at the gym a little after 11:00am so that I could squeeze in a quick arm workout before the start of the cycling class. Normally, I would just do it after the class, but I was quickly sliding down an unproductive slope in my paper, so I decided to just reverse the order today. My arm (and leg) workout was inspired by a last-minute peruse of Pinterest, and I ended up completing three rounds of this workout.


3x15 using 10 lb dumbbells

3x20 using 15 lb dumbbells

3x30 using 5 lb dumbbells
All images courtesy of Women's Health Magazine.

Lunch

When I arrived home from the gym, I was pretty hungry. I am currently enjoying a huge honeycrisp apple with peanut butter while contemplating what to make for lunch. It's been a few days since I have had my dairy-free pizza, but I also have a little something else up my sleeve that I was hoping to try today. We'll see where my stomach leads me.


I apologize for my inevitable lack of exciting meals these next two weeks, but midterms and other activities are going to take more precedence over gourmet meals. I promise that exciting food pictures are in your future!

Girl Scout Cookie Debate

We are in the midst of Girl Scout Cookie Season, and since I was a Girl Scout myself back in the day, I would consider myself to be an expert on all things Girl Scout Cookies. I still remember my confusion when my freshman year roommate, Melissa, mentioned something called a "Samoa." She described it as the chocolate, caramel, and coconut cookie, and I laughed and said, "You mean a Caramel DeLite?" I had never heard them called "Samoas" before. We quickly discovered that there are other name differences - Peanut Butter Patties can also be called Tag Alongs, and Peanut Butter Sandwiches can also be called Do-Si-Do's.
(Source)
We had a heated argument at the Clubhouse the other night before discovering that what you call your Girl Scout Cookies is simply a matter of region. There are two different commercial bakers - ABC Bakers and Little Brownie Bakers - and each have their own cookie names. Therefore, both names are right, though I am partial to the names I grew up using (Caramel DeLites, Peanut Butter Patties, and Peanut Butter Sandwiches - simple and to the point).

I just found it funny how passionate we all seem to be about what we call our Girl Scout Cookies - I requested help via Twitter and I had to laugh at the replies I received from my Houston friends:

  • "CARAMEL DELITES 4EVA"
  • "CARAMEL DELITES ALL DA WAY #houstonlingo"
  • "Caramel delites all day in Texas"
  • "MOST DEF Caramel Delites"
So, I have to ask, what do you call the chocolate, caramel, and coconut cookies? "Caramel DeLites," or "Samoas?" And on another note, what is your favorite Girl Scout Cookie? Mine has always been, and will forever be, the Thin Mint. You really can't beat frozen Thin Mints, and they're dairy-free, so that's even more points in their favor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS