Sunday, February 24, 2013

Houston: A to Z

Okay, I can't do an A to Z list of Austin without giving my hometown some love. Again, some of these might be repeats, but I will try to keep them as original as possible.



A- Astrodome
The eighth wonder of the world. Not even kidding. It is the word's first multi-purpose, domed sports stadium, and I remember going to my last Astros game there before the grand opening of Minute Maid Park. Fun fact, the first homerun hit at the Astrodome was hit by Mickey Mantle. There has been some recent controversy over what to do with the beloved Astrodome, and all I know is that I believe it should remain standing (with a little bit of renovation).
Buffalo Bayou
I love running around Town Lake and through Mueller Park, but I also love running along the Buffalo Bayou when I am home in Houston. It also provides a bike trail that ends with a pretty sweet sunset if you time it right.



C- City Centre
City Centre has it all, and it's constantly growing. Shopping, restaurants, live music, a gym, and a plethora of desserts make this the go-to hotspot in Houston these days.


Eating at City Centre
City Centre on a beautiful day
D- Discovery Green
Ice skating in the winter, fireworks on the Fourth of July, and concerts galore, among other things, Discovery Green should definitely be a stop on your tour of Houston.
E- Escalante's
I guess I didn't realize that Escalante's Mexican Restaurants are only found in Houston, but it is easily one of my favorite Mexican restaurants of all time. Though I can't eat it anymore, their white queso is absolutely incredible. 
F- Frozen Yogurt
The "B" was already occupied, but I decided it's not fair to singularly recognize Berripop when I really do love all frozen yogurt. It's been my goal to try all of Houston's frozen yogurt establishments, but more and more pop up all the time. My favorites are Berripop (obviously), Orange Leaf, and Pinkberry. I'm still waiting for all of them to come to Austin!




G- Galveston
My East Coast relatives joke that Galveston isn't really a beach (they frequent the Jersey Shore), and although it's not quite as beautiful as Hawaii or Florida beaches, it is located just an hour south of Houston and it has provided me with some great memories. Weekend getaways with my volleyball team, beach volleyball tournaments, or even just a day-trip to soak up a little sun. Plus, the Strand is a really historic and cute little shopping area. There is something for everyone, I promise!


Beach Retreat my junior year 
Galveston beach volleyball tournament
H- Hungry's
I'm sure you're all surprised to see this one on the list. A Houston original, and only found in Houston, this is easily my favorite restaurant in the world. I typically order the same item at restaurants, but Hungry's is one where I can order something new and I am almost guaranteed to like it.



I- IMAX Natural Science Museum
My science-loving roommate gave me the idea for this one, but evidently there are sharks and butterflies and other cool things. I might even be persuaded to check it out!
J- Jax Grill
Admittedly, I haven't been to this restaurant in years, but we used to eat here every year for my uncle's birthday. I don't go there much anymore because I just don't think about it, but I might have to pay Jax a little visit when I go home for spring break.
K- Kemah Boardwalk
Another place I haven't been to since I was a kid, the Kemah Boardwalk is also home to amusement park rides, as well as a fun shopping and dining experience located just 20 miles from downtown Houston. 
L- Livestock Show and Rodeo
Hands down, one of my favorite Houston traditions. I can't really remember a year that I haven't attended the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, and this year will mark the tenth consecutive year that Gayle and I have gone to a rodeo show together. My parents actually went to the BBQ cook-off yesterday, and I am insanely jealous. They said it was a wonderful time!


Brad Paisley at the 2010 Rodeo - easily my favorite performer!
M- Montrose
A recent discovery on my part, mostly because it's a pretty lengthy drive from my house, but this part of Houston really reminds me of Austin with its eclectic shops and restaurants. It's also home to the Beer Can House, a house adorned with 50,000 cans of beer cans. 
N- Nutcracker Market
Easily one of the greatest events in Houston. It happens in November each year, and this past year was my first time to miss it in many, many years. My mom and I used to volunteer with NCL and then we would shop until we (literally) dropped. Vendors come from all over the country to have a booth at the Nutcracker Market, and it is truly a magical place.


My mom and I at the Nutcracker Market - 2011
O- Origin of Beyonce
Okay, this might not be a true "O," but who doesn't love Beyonce? Houston, TX is the hometown of the much-loved Beyonce Knowles, and a shout out to KP for giving me this suggestion!
P-Pleasure Pier
We used to have Six Flags Astroworld, but that unfortunately did not last well into my teenage years. Alas, Houston was without an amusement park, until Pleasure Pier reopened in Galveston sometime last year. It's a small little amusement park, but it has some high-thrill rides that take you right over the Gulf of Mexico.



Q- 93Q
Again, I'm not sure how well this fits under the letter "Q," but it is one of my go-to Houston radio stations, in fact, it is programmed number 1 in my car. I love that moment when I'm driving back to Houston and I can finally play my familiar stations. It's the little things.
Again, another big surprise. A four-star certified green restaurant, this restaurant has everything from salads to pizzas to burgers, and they have to-die-for desserts! Plus, it's located right in the middle of City Centre!



S- Space Center Houston
I slept over at Space Center Houston for a girl scout event when I was in elementary school. This was right in the middle of my "I want to be an astronaut" phase, so this was like a dream come true for me. This is also when I discovered that my favorite planet was Mercury. I have a song that goes with it, you'll have to ask me about it sometime! Anyway, Space Center Houston is definitely worth checking out, especially if you're into stuff like astronomy and space shuttles.
T- Tully Stadium
This one might be a little biased, mainly because I grew up rolling down the hill, and then actually watching my friends and younger brother play football at Tully Stadium, but some of my best memories have taken place here, and I can't help but smile every time I drive past it when I'm home.



U- Uptown Park
The place where "European elegance meets Texas style." Uptown Park has so many great places to shop and dine, and it just has a really fun atmosphere to it.
V- I'm having a harder time with Houston than I did with Austin. I'm sure there's a "V" something that I'm just not remembering!
W- Water Wall
A big Houston attraction, it is located next to the tall Williams Tower in Uptown Houston, and I have seen many different photography sessions and different events take place here. I was actually supposed to take my prom pictures here, but inclement weather forced us inside. Bummer! This fountain re-circulates 11,000 gallons of water per minute, crazy!



X- "X" always seems to stump me, and this time is really no exception. If there are any cool places or events to check out in Houston that start with an "X," let a girl know!
Y- Yao Ming
He no longer plays for the Houston Rockets, but at the time of his final season, he was the tallest active player in the NBA at 7'6".
Z- Zoo
Though I haven't been in years, I do remember doing a big interview project in elementary school about the Houston Zoo. It was founded on the principle that it would be forever free to enter, but that has since changed. However, it is still a great place to visit, despite the fact that we can't have penguins! 

By the way, I must apologize in advance for the inevitable fact that my blog posts will be few and far between these next two weeks. I have only four days of school between now and spring break, but I also have one major research paper, three exams, four small assignments due, and a WyldLife half-niter event all between now and then. So, I'll do my best to keep up with the blogging, but if I happen to slack a little bit, I promise I'll make it up to you over spring break!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS