Thursday, May 23, 2013

Spin Challenge

Well guys, I did it again. I fell behind on the blog scene, again. It's not because I haven't done anything exciting. My day trip to Galveston was a wonderful day of hammocking under a bridge (it's less sketchy than it sounds, I promise), 

Not a worry in the world
and I had quite the eventual drive home when my car started overheating and I spent an hour waving at cars as they drove down the beltway.

My past two days have been fairly uneventful - I unfortunately have had to spend some time working on my government report, though I am having a difficult time finding my motivation, and I have also spent some quality time at the Memorial Athletic Club. I did another double duty with Felipe yesterday, and his spin class may have been the toughest one yet. Though I think I might say that every week. Seriously though, this class focused a lot on speed, so my fitness challenge for you is this -
  • Find the flat road on your bike (mine is at about a level 12)
  • Spin for a few minutes, warming up your legs, maintaining 100 RPM
  • Sprint at 120 RPM for 20 seconds, sprint at 140 RPM for 20 seconds, sprint at 120 RPM for 20 seconds
  • (Still on your flat road) Stand and pedal at 60 RPM for 30 seconds
  • Sit down and start speeding up your legs - find 100 RPM again, and when you feel ready, REPEAT steps 3-4 five times
Now, reaching 140 RPM is virtually impossible, but you can get pretty close to it. And even attempting to get 140 RPM, and especially attempting to maintain an extremely fast RPM is a huge challenge. If you have been experiencing some bike boredom lately, I urge you to give this a try! If you don't finish gasping for breath, you probably weren't going fast enough!

And finally, I'll be back tomorrow with a new Houston restaurant review for your reading enjoyment. Have a good one, after all, tomorrow's Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS